Does free version work on Win 7?

Speak your mind

Does free version work on Win 7?

Postby hjackson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:25 pm

I have it working on VISTA (VISTA is a pox onto mankind) but have had problems loading it on my Win 7 PC.

hjackson
hjackson

Re: Does free version work on Win 7?

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 pm

You have to put the xlobby directory in the c:\ root. That's what I did and it loads fine.
Marbles_00

Postby hjackson on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 am

Hmmm, that's how I loaded it (C:\xlobby). I get the following error.

Howard
Attachments
xlobby error bottom.jpg
xlobby error top.jpg
hjackson

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:32 pm

I just double checked my location, and it is indeed in the C:\ root. Check to make sure that one of the components that loads (plugin, database) isn't corrupted somehow. I had a separate issue, where my movies when loaded from xlobby were running really choppy. Outside of Xlobby they ran fine, even with Win7 MC they played fine. Finally realized that my xReceive plugin was configured incorrectly. It was running the CPU at 100%. Fixed that and I'm all up and running again.

Take out all your plugins and see, then if those don't appear to be the issue, take out your databases.

*EDIT*
I just noticed in your images it says "Please Wait..." in your splash screen. When exactly does that statement come up? I don't recall ever seeing that message during Xlobby loading (freeware version). Normally I have seen the components loading, then XNET stuff, then finally "Prepare to Start..." (or something very similar).
Marbles_00

Postby hjackson on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Marbles, it happens immediately at startup. This is a fresh install of the freeware Xlobby. DotNet 2 for Win 64bit is loaded.
Thanks for your help so far.

Howard
hjackson

Postby lpg on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:36 am

I had a similar problem when I moved my main server to Win 7. The drive sharing is much more involved if you are not using homegroup.

The only reason I bring this up was that the "access permissions" message came up on most of my drives. I had to go into the drives properties and access the security tab to fix it.

I am thinking that there is a similar permissions area for the socket layer.

Larry
lpg

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:03 am

XL is not getting the server socket its asking for. Same reason u cant run 2 lobbies on same machine. Check that no other software is not occupying the port in question and operating system does not restrict user to bind server to that port.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby hjackson on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:10 pm

How do you check to see what sockets are being occupied?
BTW, I had to buy a new laptop and installed free Xlobby on that one no problem. Could Visual Studio be messing things up?

hjackson
hjackson

Postby hjackson on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:13 am

Well, I finally got it working on my PC, only took 4 months to figure it out, but I was using the wrong version of dot.net. You can't use the latest version for Win 7, you have to use the earlier versions. Using ver 1.1 got it working. But now, it uses 100% of CPU and does not run smoothly at all... ?

hjackson
hjackson

Postby mememe on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:29 am

What edition of Win 7 are you using? I have the free version running on Win 7 Pro x64 without a single problem. The only thing you might possibly need to do is change some of the security settings on the xlobby folder and set xlobby.exe to run in administrator mode, but I didn't even have to do that.

Edit: I just took another look at the error and I'm pretty sure you need to set xlobby.exe to run as administrator. Just right-click on xlobby.exe and select the compatibility tab. Put a check mar in the run as administrator option and hit apply. This will allow xlobby to run with full administrator privelidges so it is free to write to the files it needs to.
mememe

Postby hjackson on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Mememe, but I have progressed past that earlier error message as of yesterday by loading dotnet 1.1 . I am running Win 7 Home Premium and have DotNet 4 installed. I now need to decrease my CPU useage. I changed Compatibility Privilege to Administrator and the User Permissions as you suggested. I also changed the Compatibility Modes to Vista, then Vista SP1, then Vista SP2. None ofthese changes improved Xlobby's function though. When I change screens or press certain buttons within Xlobby it flashes between the Xlobby screen and the desktop. Also, I cannot properly move highlighted items in Edit mode (it flashes and stutters and won't move properly to where I drag it). Please help me get my smooth running Xlobby back! After 7 years of bliss, I've been without my precious program for 8 months and I'm dying here!

hjackson
hjackson

Postby mememe on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:24 pm

What are your computer's specs?
mememe

Postby hjackson on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:35 pm

Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7 Ghz, 4.0 GB RAM, 64 bit.
hjackson

Postby mememe on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:32 am

Something is definitely wrong with you installation. I have the free version running on an Atom/Ion combo, which is nowhere near as powerful as what you have, and don't have any issues with CPU or memory usage. What is the date of the free version you are using? Was it the very last one available?
mememe

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

What plugins are you using too. xRecieve, if the IP address in the conf.ini file is not setup right, will yield 100% CPU usage.
Marbles_00

Next