browser in PPC client

Got an idea, post it here

browser in PPC client

Postby Cosworth on Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:35 am

I'd like the browser object to be displayed in the PPC client. Not so much for surfing, but for integration issues.

e.g. Xbox mediacenter comes with a web server and has skins that allow you to control it via simple web page optimised for the PPC. If I could access this via the Xlobby client the WAF factor would increase a lot, as it would allow for an almost seamless integration.

/Keld

Preview of a PPC xbox skin for XBMC (sorry about the quality):

http://www.allxboxskins.com/skins/preview.php?app=xbmc&pvf=xbmc-ppcweb
Cosworth

Postby Aaron on Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:07 am

I 2nd this motion!

Netremote has this and it helps a ton for surfing and integration.
Aaron

Postby rhinoman on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:40 am

This would be kinda cool to use in mimic mode.
rhinoman

Postby jowaldo on Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:28 pm

I can't really speak for steven, but I remember him saying this wouldn't be easy to implement, cuz basically right now the server just sends the client screenshots, and web pages show up with activeX (or something along those lines) which can't currently work using that screenshot method of updating the client screens... remember don't quote me cuz I don't know all the technical details
jowaldo

Postby stevenhanna6 on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:42 pm

Cosworth I understand what your saying. Jowaldo is right though since the browser is activex its hard to get what its displaying...I will have to look into it, I couldn't really see any reason why somone would want to show a browser on the client...but I stand corrected now.

Affini, does netremote display the browser in only full screen mode? or can it be any size? maybe you have a screenshot of it working?

I really see a need for this now...I have to research it more though.
stevenhanna6

Postby Cosworth on Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:51 pm

I see how this is leaving a principle that the client only replicates what the server sends.

One way is to do it is to embed the PPC explorer in the Client. I have no idea how this is done on a ppc, but it's fairly simple on a pc.

Another way would be to generalise the issue and allow redirection of server output to the ppc. This would open up for all kinds of features, including watching trailers on the ppc while a movie is playing on the server's main output. I suppose I'm talking about streaming images to the ppc and do the processing on the server.

Glad you're looking into it Steven. If there is a way you'll find it.
Cosworth

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:11 am

I really looked into this for a good hour, and I think I have come up with the best solution. We will have a new command called "os:execute file on client" now you create an event with that command and it will execute on the client itself. In our case the PPC, if you want to test it out you can try launching the webbrowser on the ppc, with the following

iexplore.exe
http://www.xlobby.com

where iexplore.exe if the filename you type in, and the url is the parameter, I tried this and it worked great :) Whats really cool about this is you can launch ANY app on the ppc....you could even pass variables from xlobby to the app just like we do on the pc. You could probably make a button to launch an audio player to play an album on the ppc if you wanted :)

http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip
stevenhanna6

Postby Cosworth on Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:14 am

stevenhanna6 wrote:I really looked into this for a good hour, and I think I have come up with the best solution. We will have a new command called "os:execute file on client" now you create an event with that command and it will execute on the client itself. In our case the PPC, if you want to test it out you can try launching the webbrowser on the ppc, with the following

iexplore.exe
http://www.xlobby.com

Can't wait to test all the new stuff. PPC hardbuttons, Client minimize, New sorting options and now this!!

You're my numero uno for listening to the users. 8)
Cosworth

Postby Cosworth on Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:44 pm

Man I feel kinda dumb. With the downloaded version from above I can't find any reference to os:execute file on client. (or the latest client minimize for that matter)

I'm looking under F2->Event manager->os

Am I looking in the wrong place or is there a gnome afoot?
Cosworth

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:59 pm

your looking in the right place, redownload the latest zip just in case i didnt upload it right. also make sure the xlobby2.exe is dated today june 21st so you know for sure you have the latest.
stevenhanna6

Postby Cosworth on Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:22 pm

Much better - on the machine running .net (english version). On the other (running .net danish version) I'm getting this:

Setup Error
Failed to load resources from resource file
Check your setup

Weird!? It's the exact same setup otherwise

EDIT: Works now with .net english
Cosworth

Postby Cosworth on Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:31 pm

Almost forgot to post the results:

It works like a charm! Love it! Well done!
Cosworth

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:31 am

great, I love simple easy solutions :)
stevenhanna6

Postby Cosworth on Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:19 am

I suppose this thread could be locked. There is however a nice little article on embedding the ppc browser in your app.
Steven you might want to have a look sometime:

http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/I-N/internet/browsercontrol/article.php/c6813/

Oh and passing variables to the client app is not working right now, but I posted a seperate bug report about that.
Cosworth