Initial impressions

Speak your mind

Initial impressions

Postby klimekt on Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:15 pm

I just wanted to say "hello". I'm a long time AVS member and HTPC enthusiast but I just recently discovered XLobby. I've added a touch screen as a second monitor for my HTPC (the primary output is connected to an Sony HS10 projector). I've installed XLobby and Heavy Metal skin and I'm very happy with the results. The software works well, both on my music collection as well as my movies. I do have some observations, some of these might be obvious to most of you already:

1) I'm using Zoomplayer for DVD playback. It works well but there are no controls for DVD navigation build into the Zoomplayer screen? I realize most users probably don't need them as they only save the movie, however on some titles I prefer to save the whole DVD, including the menus. Now I have to use a mouse to navigate the menus; using arrows on a touchscreen would be a lot easier.

2) Is there a way to use the search spiders on multiple movie titles at once? The only way I've been able to figure out is to edit the movie DB and lookup the info one movie at a time. It would be nice to be able to updated all movies at once.

3) I was able to add X10 lighting control via text scripts executed by the SmartHome Powerlinc USB controller. I have it set to automatically dim the lights for previews, darken the room for the movie and restore the lights when the movie is over. I even added events to the play and pause buttons so that if the movie is paused the lights automatically come on. It works very well indeed and gets quite a reaction from all who visit my home theater. 8)

4) PLEASE add support for displaying chosen screens on the second monitor. It would be great to be able to display the photo album on the projector while maintaining the controls on the touchscreen.

Overall I have to say great job! This software rocks!

Tomasz
klimekt

Postby chadwolcott on Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:06 pm

Tomasz,

First off, Welcome to Xlobby! I'm sure you will find it to be the most flexible and powerful FE for HTPCs. Let me see if I can address some of your issues.

1. I don't personally have a 2 monitor setup but you should be able to do this with the standard Up/Down/Left/Right events within xlobby. Assign these events to arrows in your skin. I'm sure there are people here that have similar setups to you that could shed more light on this.

2. I don't believe this is possible today. There are a lot of people that use DVD PRofiler (myself included) for this exact reason. I believe there is also a plug-in for Extreme Movie Manager as well. These methods seem to work better than the spiders to me, as they can recover from a DB re-import.

3. That sounds very interesting, I've been thinking about putting X10 controls in my gameroom/bar when I finish it this fall/winter.

4. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Chad

chadwolcott

Postby klimekt on Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:12 pm

Thanks Chad,

1. I don't personally have a 2 monitor setup but you should be able to do this with the standard Up/Down/Left/Right events within xlobby. Assign these events to arrows in your skin. I'm sure there are people here that have similar setups to you that could shed more light on this.

I've tried that but it didn't work. I think these events are for navigating XLobby via a remote, not for controlling Zoomplayer? Or maybe there is a window focus problem here, not sure. DOes anyone have this working?

There are a lot of people that use DVD PRofiler (myself included) for this exact reason.

I'll have to give DVD Profiler a try.

Thanks again,
Tomasz
klimekt

Postby Hiller on Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:37 am

Klimekt,

Welcome to Xlobby, it's nice to see more of the AVS folks checking out the software. I think if more would try a good portion of them would stay. As far as the Zoomplayer controls try using the default skin for testing. It has ZP controls...

For seting up your own page check out this thread. It was a conversation about TT but it should work for you too.

Steve
Hiller

Postby BaddaBing on Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:52 pm

Hi Klimekt and welcome,
Just FYI, HeavyMetal skin has the same Zoom controls as the default skin. The function you are asking for, focus movement for navigating DVD menus, is not included there either. I'm working through the Zoom Player 'sendmessage' documentation to try and add this function.
Last edited by BaddaBing on Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaddaBing

Postby BaddaBing on Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:44 pm

Ok, didn't take as long as I thought to figure out. I'll add the DVD navigation buttons to the HeavyMetal skin this weekend. For those of you that want to add them to your skins now the sendmessage parameters for navigating in Zoom Player are:

UP
Class Name = TMainForm
Window Name = Zoom Player
Message = 32817
wParam = 38
lParam = 1

DOWN
Class Name = TMainForm
Message = 32817
wParam = 40
lParam = 1

LEFT
Class Name = TMainForm
Message = 32817
wParam = 37
lParam = 1

RIGHT
Class Name = TMainForm
Message = 32817
wParam = 39
lParam = 1

EDIT - The HeavyMetal skin is updated with the new DVD navigation controls added to the ZoomPlayer screen
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1849
BaddaBing

Postby klimekt on Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:49 pm

That's awesome, thanks BaddaBing!
Since I already modded my HeavyMetal skin by adding X10, games, etc. is there a way to import the changes to the Zoomplayer screen without loosing all my mods?
If not, no problem, I'll create the buttons manually.

EDIT: I'm confused, the naviagtion arrow codes appear to have the same exact codes as the "move screen" arrows???
klimekt

Postby BaddaBing on Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:02 pm

After reading your post I went back and looked at them. Yes they are are same. After using using the info in the ZOOM.KEY file to create the parameters I didn't think to compare them to existing parameters.

It appears that the function of the 'Move Screen' buttons is different based on focus. Here is what I mean. If you insert a DVD and you drive is set to autoplay, it defaults to the menu screen. If you hit the any of the 'move' buttons the highlight selection does not move. However, if you hit one of the menu controls in the HeavyMetal Zoom control screen first (Root or Title) and THEN use the buttons they will work as menu navigation buttons. So yes they are redundant, but they will work. If I come up with a better method (or anyone else for that matter - I'm happy to take input) I'll update the screen then. I'm running a dual head video card in the same configuration as you (one to a touchscreen and the other to a BARCO CRT) and I have verified that this works.

And lastly, yes you can keep all your changes. Download the new skin and just copy these two files into your existing HeavyMetal installation

1] From the downloaded skin directory copy the file heavymetal/zoomplayer.xml to your //xloby/skins/heavymetal directory

2] From the downloaded skin directory copy the file heavymetal/eventgroups/zoomplayer.xml to your //xloby/skins/heavymetal/eventgroups directory

Your new Zoomplayer control screen will look like this:
BaddaBing