Turning on/off projector with remote

Help each other out

Turning on/off projector with remote

Postby homepc on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:52 pm

I currently use one remote to control everything. Navigation in XL, to change inputs on the projector, change inputs on the receiver, turn the set top box on and off, to dim the lights, even to turn the fan on and off. But I can not get it to turn the projector on and off. All the other controls on the projector, such as inputs, work fine, but the USB-UIRT will not learn the power on/off. when I try and lean the power on/off code in the IRT plugin, it will go to 98% and just stop. Is there something else I can do?

thanks
Ray
homepc

Re: Turning on/off projector with remote

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:51 pm

You've been having this problem for a while. I know we talked about trying to get the actual code from remote central where you able to find your projector model?

Questions:
Learning IR command-
1) What projector name and model do you have?
2) Is the power button a toggle button? what I mean is...when you press the button on your teaching remote the first time it sends a command then on the second press it sends a completely different command. This is the reason Steven made the toggle event in xLobby.
3) Are you close enough to the USB-UIRT when learning the commands?

After learned:
4) By chance, can you move the IR blaster on the projector to a different location? Of course you have to get 100% of the command learned first.
5) Did you change the amount of IR command repeats to more than 1 and see if that helps?

We should be able to fiqure this out.
sharp_1

Postby homepc on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:11 pm

sharp_1 wrote:You've been having this problem for a while. I know we talked about trying to get the actual code from remote central where you able to find your projector model?

Questions:
Learning IR command-
1) What projector name and model do you have?
2) Is the power button a toggle button? what I mean is...when you press the button on your teaching remote the first time it sends a command then on the second press it sends a completely different command. This is the reason Steven made the toggle event in xLobby.
3) Are you close enough to the USB-UIRT when learning the commands?

After learned:
4) By chance, can you move the IR blaster on the projector to a different location? Of course you have to get 100% of the command learned first.
5) Did you change the amount of IR command repeats to more than 1 and see if that helps?

We should be able to fiqure this out.

Thanks Sharp_1. Yes, I have had this problem for a while. You have a very good memory!! haahaa

I tried to get the codes from Remote Central with no luck.

I am using a Sharp DT-100. Its an inexpensive model with only 800X600 native resolution, but for now its fine for me.

The remote has an "ON" button that once pressed the projector come on right away. And it has an "OFF" button that once pressed, it asks you to press it again to turn it off.

I have experimented with differant distances when learning the codes, from right up close (less then an inch away) up to about a foot away. It works best at about 2-3 inches away. I also have used the IRHELPER program without luck.

Sharp_1, you are the best when it comes to remotes! I'm counting on you! haahaa! (no pressure!)

Just kidding, but any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks
Ray

P.S., if you want to take this offline by email, thats fine by me. Unless this helps others....
homepc

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Have you tried some other receiver (other than the UIRT) and software. Maybe try WinLIRC. The circuit is dead-simple to build...you could use PtoP wiring. The WinLIRC software is great for detecting and displaying IR signals.

Not sure if it would help or not.
Marbles_00

Postby homepc on Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:51 pm

Marbles_00,

Thanks! That might be an option for me!!

thanks
Ray
homepc

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:26 pm

To let you know, I'm not say to use it as a replacement to the UIRT, as the WinLIRC has its own issues...primarily it uses a COM port. The problem is that Windows uses interupts when talking to the COM port, meaning that when the OS is communicating to the port it interupts other processes...say...adds short duration pauses to music or video soundtracks...or even worse, could cause skipping of video. The original LIRC was developed for Linux...which the kernal treats the COM port quite differently, and more smoothly (from how I understood it). The nice thing about the WinLIRC software is the you can see the raw IR data, which in the very least will give you some hope that there is a valid IR signal that can be picked up. Been a while since I've used WinLIRC, but I think it saves the IR codes in some file, which you may then be able to go into and extract the On/Off codes.
Marbles_00