Using FLAC Tags for music information

Help each other out

Using FLAC Tags for music information

Postby jmv on Mon May 10, 2004 10:11 pm

Well, I am on the next step in getting Xlobby to work with my music...I went the FLAC route with native FLAC tags.

Right now, in the default skin and Colby's skin, my files just show up as file names...ARTIST - ALBUM - Track No - Track Name.flac...

When I see everybody else's screen shots they have nice Track No and Name in the overlays...

What do I have to do to make Xlobby work with my FLAC?

thanks,

mv
jmv

Postby Colby on Tue May 11, 2004 4:13 am

In a flac file are there still id3 tags? that is what my skin references for its display.

In my display of the tracks info I have the edit category>Display as %tracknumber% %display%. These are the tags for the music in the database. You can see if your db has these tags or you could create them (which would be a huge huge pita!)

Also, make sure you have the tracknumber checkbox selected in the music db.

to get your tracks to be sorted numericalily be sure in your music db to make your sort order artist:albumname:tracknumber:year:trackfilename

let me know
Colby

Postby jmv on Tue May 11, 2004 12:09 pm

Colby thanks for the feedback...my FLAC files do not contain ID3 tags (although, apparently I could add them...but before I do that, I want to see if I can get the native FLAC tags to work)...

From the "FLAC FAQ" :) http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html#general__tagging website

What kinds of tags does FLAC support?

FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.

Out of convenience, some plugins and implementations allow and also read other kinds of tags. For example, the official FLAC Winamp and XMMS plugins can also read ID3 v1 and v2 tags in addition to FLAC tags. The reference decoder knows how to skip ID3 tags so that they don't interfere with decoding. But you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in all applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags.

Is there a way to make Xlobby work with the native "FLAC tags" ie "Vorbis comments"?

thanks,

mv
jmv