On Board IRDA VS USB-UIRT

Help each other out

On Board IRDA VS USB-UIRT

Postby oakoen on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Has anyone used or can you you use an on board IRDA port instead of USB-UIRT?

I have a USB-UIRT but want to use a tablet that has an IRDA built in. The whole point of the tablet is to be wire free.

Anyone?

Thanks,

John
oakoen

Re: On Board IRDA VS USB-UIRT

Postby wesblack on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:54 pm

The IRDA port is not suitable for IR transmission or for receiving consumer based IR signals. It is only good for short range computer device to computer device ccommunication. See the links below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_Data_Association

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/IrDA

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby oakoen on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear.

I might have to try a mod and squeeze the USB-UIRT board into the tablet and hard wire it.

John
oakoen

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Allthough that sounds like interesting idea... i bet your easier option is to do what everybody else: use XL client on tablet via wifi to command your main XL system which in turn uses USB-UIRT (or similar infrared-infrastrukture) to command actual devices on your setup. If lag (trust me there will be) caused by that doesnt turn out to be too anoying. If thats the case some of those earlier ipaqs can serve as both direct infrared universal remotes and hosts for xlobby client to run on.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby oakoen on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:45 pm

That works great. The lag is almost non-existent for me. My HTPC is not always on. I had hoped to run full XL on a tablet when just using cable boxes and not a full blown media center and have a "fancy" touch screen remote for any room in the house by having a screen or two for each area of the house. Then when using full, just start the tablet as a client instead of server.

Make sense?

John
oakoen