An experience using xlobby and xAP

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

An experience using xlobby and xAP

Postby dgemily on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Here is a release with xlobby, xAP plugin, and an X-10 receiver (like an am12)

This is the door of my building:

we press on a button of the screen to enter the code:

we enter the code then the door opens ( it use an electric lock and an X10 receiver)

how it works, the event is executed on an enter screen after the code . commands of this event are:
- xap x10 connector on
- wait (3000ms)
- xap x10 connector off

and if you don’t have the code :? you press on another button to ring

what this does…. It’s maximize a mini xlobbyskin on different pcs and play a song ( like a bell ;))

and I can open the door from theses pcs…..

how it works :
the event assigned to the button for ringing at the door execute an xap plugin command this send a “fake” xap message (this xap message command nothing!!! It’s a fake message !!! it only use to communicate between different xlobby.

On other pcs, I have a minimal xlobby installation configured to use a small resolution 320x240 , those xlobby have the xap plugin and I configured the plugin for when it detect the fake xap message it will execute an event, this event can of course contains commands that you want, mine contains:

sur les autres pcs, avec la mini install de xlobby et mini skin configuré pour une résolution de 320*240, ces pcs possèdent aussi le plugin xap et sont configurés pour que: lorsqu'ils interceptent le message xap fake ils exécutent un event qui contient les commandes:
- xlobby : maximize
Last edited by dgemily on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dgemily

Postby dgemily on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm

my office use also a show room :

the htpc connected to the tv and the touchscreen have also a xlobby installation. When it detect the faxe xap message it maximize xlobby, play a song and show a screen where there is
is displayed the IP camera of the door. There is also a button on the screen to open the door

dge,

PS : don’t worry, I can also open the door manually…. ( and also with my smatphone using a thin client)

PS2: I need to improve the skin for the door and add some functionality. It’s just my first try… I hope that give some idea for some users here ;)
dgemily

Postby wesblack on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:33 pm

Very Cool !, Excellent job.

Wes :o
wesblack

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:21 am

WAY COOL! But my first amazed thought was, the building owners let him CUT A HOLE IN THE OUTSIDE WALL????? :D
cmhardwick

Postby summerall on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:11 am

We need more posts like this. They show off the user commnuities XL installations / setups and really highlight what you can accomplish with XL. Threads like these get me motivated to build something myself. I have all the parts I just need to get up my lazy azz.

:D
summerall

WOW!

Postby berniejr on Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 am

I agree with Summerall. I remember suggesting that a"Show us your Install" area be created and Steven promptly created this My Home Theater section. It's really helpful in some cases for some folks to be able to visualize the possibilites that XLobby affords. Technically speaking I understand all of the possibilites that it offers, but it's when I see an actual system(or pictures of one) in action, that I remember why I have such an appreciation for this great piece of software. dgemily, great work with your setup, this is very cool indeed. So does that touchscreen run a full copy of Xlobby and connect to the HTPC as a fat client, or is it a thin client? I'm looking for some ideas of being able to view any of my 4 IP linksys cameras from my Xlobby clients. I currently have 3, but they are only capable of running the thin or webclient and I can't view the IP camera's video that way.
berniejr

Postby dgemily on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 am

thanks for your comments :wink:
berniejr wrote: So does that touchscreen run a full copy of Xlobby and connect to the HTPC as a fat client, or is it a thin client?
noone..
it's a full install of xlobby (in fact with minimum needed + xap plugin for the moment) but it's not a client.... I'm only using xap to communicate between different xlobby installation...

next step, I will try to get my IP camera into VLC then broadcast it over the network...
dgemily