xLobby Multi-Room Setup

V3 help and support questions

xLobby Multi-Room Setup

Postby defrag on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:04 am

Hi Wes,

This was prompted by your recent news post. I was wondering how you handle xlobby servers when the servers are set to suspend. I posted/mailed (can't remember) some time ago about xnet keeping hold of connections when they are not valid any more (fat client asleep - then server sleeps) which blocks other connections. This does not appear to be fixed in the latest versions. I do not want to leave my servers on 24/7 and xlobby appears to need to be running under an active login (in my experience) to work correctly for thin clients - can you confirm this? If I log off the server - even though xlobby is wrapped in a service, I cannot connect. If I actively log in, it's fine.

I have now 2 thin clients (Axims x51) and 2 fat clients (one of these is a dev machine) connecting to the 1 server. The 2 fat clients suspend and will wake the server via my WOL plugin which works fine - unless of course xnet is blocked!!! They do resort to their local db cache, but obviously do not pull down changes. The reason for using fat clients is for handling plugins not required on the server and for non xlobby uses.

Not sure I've covered it all - or made myself clear :D

But any comments useful
defrag

Re: xLobby Multi-Room Setup

Postby wesblack on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:11 am

defrag,

Steven and I need to discuss this issue again. I sent your post to Steven. So I hope to have an answer next week for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Re: xLobby Multi-Room Setup

Postby defrag on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:15 am

Thanks Wes! I'm curious to know if this has ever been raised by any integrators, or is it a case of people don't run fat clients? or is it more a case of "you've got to leave your sever on 24/7" :D

As an aside, I'm in progress with a WM5/6 wrapper to the xlobby client to handle WOL for my Axims - I will keep you posted.
defrag