Support for multiple music databases

Help each other out

Support for multiple music databases

Postby starmanj on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:27 am

I have my music database, and my wife's, as separately defined databases. However, when I use baddabing's excellent skin in pocketpc mode, it gets confused which database I'm navigating through. I had to copy several screens to point to different databases.

SO-- is it possible to code a database as a variable? That is, instead of using separate skin pages whose Categories must define the use of each of two databases ("music" and "dad-db" are what I use-- "music" is the default db, and "dad-db" is the 2nd one), can I define the default "music" database to point to each separate database once? That way, I can use ONE set of skin screens to navigate, instead of having to duplicate ALL of my screens (one set of screens for "music", another set of screens for "dad-db"). My opening screen has two buttons-- "Mom's music" and "Dad's music". Now each button directs the user to separately defined skins pointing to the two databases. I want those buttons to simply re-define the default database.

Ideas?

Thanks!
starmanj

Re: Support for multiple music databases

Postby art on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:36 am

Did you try "set database" command under "category"?
art

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:38 am

In F2/Setup, under the "Events" tab, if you look at the catagory commands, there is one called set database. You can use this to toggle databases for the same catagory. I've now done this with my music server and ZoneSkin3. I have one mass database, then I have alphabeticallised databases from A to Z and from 0 to 9. I have added buttons for each letter and number, and when you click on a button, it will change the music catagory to that database.

Hope that helps.

Art, you just beat me to the punch :lol:
Marbles_00

Postby starmanj on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks folks. I'm sorry I wasn't making myself clear. That is exactly what I'm doing now, and it doesn't work. It only works for that screen. For example, Badabing's skins include "ppcmusic", which has a music browsing overlay that refers to category-> database. So I toggle that database. But it can summon "ppcmusicviewer", which is a screen that has its own category->database, which is pointing to the previous database, which is wrong. So I have to toggle that one too. Each one must be set and re-set when I change databases. There are simply too many screens with category->databases to toggle.

I want to toggle the database universally, only once.

Is this any clearer?
starmanj

Postby art on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:27 pm

yes, it is clearer ... :)
Question, do all your categories on all those screens have the same names or different ones? I'm asking because I think you can specify the name of the category and if so, you would just need to add multiple commands to this one event… or did you tried this already and it didn’t work?
art