Sort music by Date added

Speak your mind

Sort music by Date added

Postby scottw on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:57 pm

Can anyone think of a way to be able to show what music has been added to the database last. I use Itunes for my Ipod and sort by the Date Added field all the time. It would be nice if there was a way to do this in XL. I would have a button setup that would sort the music showing the most recent music first and the another button or toggle button that would sort it back by Artist.
I am just not sure how to accomplish this with the import into XL.
Right now I have all of my music in a folder called "Music" and the import is done off of that. When you add music to that folder and do an import again does is reimport all of the music or just the additions?

Any input is appreciated :D
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:12 pm

I'm pretty sure it does not re-import everything...it scans then just imports the updated songs.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Cool....that is helpful.

Maybe I can put something in the tag that has the date.

Any ideas???
scottw

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:31 pm

Is it possible to grab the file date with the metamask somehow? I don't really know how those work. Just tossing out ideas.
cmhardwick

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:45 pm

There is a command called "stamp" in xpert, what it does is to put a timestamp to a category item... then theres also architecture for doing comparisons of these timestamps against each other or current time.

Obviously if u just could call "stamp" for each added item issue would be solved.

Now, i could make a command called "catstamp" or something like that which would catwalk the category and stamp all unstamped items. then u could always run this command right after import...

yea or nay?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby scottw on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Yeah that sound like a good idea, thanks.

Now my next problem is how to display it. I was trying to use the "set sort order" command but that will only work for the top level of the category.
My music is setup as:
Artist/filename.mp3..................I don't care about albums
If I view my database in XL- F2 I see:
Artist/Albumname
---song1.mp3
---song2.mp3

Now I can sort on any of the tags set for the Artist/Albumname but not any tags set on the individual mp3's

Even after I get past that I still need to be able to show them on a music screen, since the music screen shows the Artist first with the coverart and then clicking on that I get a list of the song's.

What I thought of is by using the filterdetails setup. If I create a category and call it filterdetails and use the Set Filter command:
Category: music
Filter: trackname
With this is get a list of tracknames. If I could then sort those by a date possibly using P3rv3rt B3ar's method that would be awesome.

My wife likes to download songs from Itunes and then asks me to put them on the HTPC. It would be nice to be able to show all the new songs first....WAF :D

Keep the ideas coming
scottw

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:48 pm

I just took a look of format in which xPerT stores the stamp... and it doesnt look a good candidate for regular sorting:

DD.MM.YYYY HH:MM:SS
and leading zeros can be omitted.

if it would be instead

YYYY.MM.DD HH:MM:SS
without omitting zeroes problem would be trivial

I need to see if it is simple enough for me to change the format.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby scottw on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Thanks for checking. I am now looking at your Xpert post as I may be what I need for this to display correctly.
scottw