How do you add to your collection?

Speak your mind

How do you add to your collection?

Postby str1der on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:01 am

What is everyone's process for adding movie titles to their collection? Say I populated my database using my xml file from DVD Profiler. I've ripped some of my movies and imported them. Some of those directory names don't match up because of file naming restrictions so I end up having duplicates in the database with slightly different names. One with the cover art from Profiler while not pointing to the Video_ts.ifo file. The second points to the file but doesn't have the profiler info. I then edit the database and point the profiler imported entry to the the ifo file. I then delete the entry that imported from the ripped movie directory. So far so good. Now the question is I buy a new movie and add it to Dvd Profiler. What process do you guys use to add it to Xlobby. Do you reimport the entire profiler xml file? If so will doing this overwrite the entries that I had to change to point to the right ifo files?
str1der

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:27 am

sorry i cant help...

But personally, i dont use anything apart from xlobby, its easy enuff to add plots/covers and any other tags a i want...

What are the benifits of using something like dvdproilfer?
S Pittaway

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am

Ant with Xant plugin...all you ever need. Do a search in the forums for loads of information about them, and how to use them.
Marbles_00

Postby Colby on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:18 am

S Pittaway wrote:
What are the benifits of using something like dvdproilfer?

Simplicity and speed. With dvdprofiler, you input a barcode and export a database, and booom all info about movie is in Xlobby. Dvdprof. catalogs from an online database so you never really have to edit or handtype anything.

To answer your questions; if you add more movies to dvdpro an export Xlobby will remember your previous database and not really mess with things that didnt change. You may still need to delete duplicates, but thats it. You should figure out why you are getting database problems and fix them, then never worry.

Or you could use ANT catalog.... :)
Colby

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:14 pm

I also use profiler. I make sure the names on my drive match the actual movie names. Often, when you rip, the DVD name will be some oddball name that means basically nothing. I get them into DVD profiler first THEN rip them, so I can handle the naming problems up front. Of course, I haven't added any lately because I'm out of space on my current setup. Time to go shopping! :wink:
cmhardwick

Postby str1der on Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:08 pm

cmhardwick wrote:I also use profiler. I make sure the names on my drive match the actual movie names. Often, when you rip, the DVD name will be some oddball name that means basically nothing. I get them into DVD profiler first THEN rip them, so I can handle the naming problems up front. Of course, I haven't added any lately because I'm out of space on my current setup. Time to go shopping! :wink:

That's fine but the problem is some titles use punctionation in them that isn't supported by Windows filenames. Most I do correct when ripping. It's these odd balls that give me the issues.

As far as why use DVD Profiler. As the other poster said it's easy. I use my cheap cuecat barcode scanner and just scan the UPC and bam it's in the database. I've been a paid supporter of DVD Profielr for years so my entire collection is in there already. I looked at ANT but wasn't that impressed. It didn't seem like it offered me any more than profiler plus it didn't seem as simple.
str1der

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:36 pm

I understand about the punctuation issue. Windows usually has some sort of way to match up some things. Others, I just change in DVD Profiler to match what windows will allow. It's not always easy, but it keeps headaches like this from recurring :)
cmhardwick

Postby str1der on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:39 pm

cmhardwick wrote:I understand about the punctuation issue. Windows usually has some sort of way to match up some things. Others, I just change in DVD Profiler to match what windows will allow. It's not always easy, but it keeps headaches like this from recurring :)

If you change them in DVD Profiler how do you keep them being over written when updating Profiler?
str1der

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:14 pm

I don't believe, when you update from online before adding new movies, it actively goes in and updates current entries. I know there is a command to do this, but I don't think on the refresh that it does before adding new ones, it affects those. I could be wrong, have been before :) I'll play around a bit tonight and see.
cmhardwick

Postby str1der on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:33 pm

Ok maybe I'm doing something wrong but after adding some titles to my DVDprofiler I did a new import into xlobby to pick up the new titles. It appears that when I did that it made all of my previously link movies (ifo files) go back to offline. That's why everything suddenly stopped playing when I clicked on it. Is there a solution to this or is my procedure flawed?
str1der

Postby str1der on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:55 pm

Ok I really need some help with this procedure. I had my DVDprofiler file imported and you could see all of my covers (about 500 of them). I had ripped about 25 movies so far and I had the database entries pointing to the proper directory and ifo file for those. Last night I ripped about 5 more movies. I then started Xlobby, went to F2,basic, then down to the movies path. It was still set to the proper drive (in my case V:). I hit the import button thinking it would add in the 5 new movies I ripped. Instead of adding those movies when I went into database/movies and click edit. All that was in there were the entries for the 25 movies I had pointing to the proper ifo files. All of my other imported DVDprofiler entries were gone and the 5 new movies I had ripped weren't there either.

Is this the way this is supposed to work. Does anyone have a procedure written up anywhere on the easiest way to add titles without having to redo everything?
str1der

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:06 pm

You should only have to import once, after that, a refresh should work. I'll go through my process tonight and notate it and post it. Sorry I haven't had a chance to actually do this yet as I've been working alot of long hours lately.
cmhardwick

Postby guile on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:15 pm

I too am in a similar situation. Since I am adding HD-DVD movies, I have to point to a sub directory (to execute the .xpl file). So, in addition to adding erroneous (read duplicates), I have to go in and edit the database.

I tried X-Ant but wasn't crazy about it either. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this but...there is currently no "best way" for my situation.

Getting frustrated with this software and considering abandoning useing it. While it is highly configurable, I think it is NOT user friendly and VERY much bug filled. I would consider paying for the app if these issues get worked out, but for now, I may just drop it.
g
guile

Postby str1der on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:21 pm

I think I've figured out most of my issues. One of the things that was really throwing me was the interfaces use of the term import in multiple places acting differently. If I did an import from the Basics screen it would wipe out(bad, should be a warning) my database, including my imported profiler xml file, and reimport from my movies share. If your in the Database screen and use import it does more of a refresh of your profiler xml file and adds any new movies that I have in my movies share.
str1der