All sorts of help needed!!?!

Speak your mind

All sorts of help needed!!?!

Postby markshanks on Wed May 30, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi,

I have been trying very hard to find a front-end for my home theater pc. However, all of the software out there seems to have major problems with it. My choice is more limited as I have theatertek, and I want the front end to interface with it - many of them don't. I found xlobby, based on recommendations that it supported theatertek.

Digging around inside of xlobby, as far as I can tell, theatertek used to be supported, but it is no longer - although some of the original files are there in a non-functional state. To get around this, I changed the "Files" menu option to a "Launcher" menu option, and have a desktop shortcut that leads to theatertek. You then need to use theatertek's menu system to find the file you want - not as pretty, but functional. I would appreciate any advice on how to run theatertek more directly, but I have been having even more problems with xlobby.

1) How do you actually install a plugin??? I want to try the foobar plugin, but I have tried copying the foo-xlobby.dll into the plugins folder, a foobar folder in the plugins folder, and in the main folder. Even so, when I start up xlobby and hit F2, only the xweather plugin is shown as active. Has the ability to add plugins been removed? I ask this as when I installed xlobby without the weather plugin, it still tried to show the weather, indicating that the plugins are now hardcoded into the program, rather than the program searching the plugin directory.

2) How do you display photos??? There is a media folder for photos in the setup, but there is no menu option to view photos. Surely any front-end htpc software must be able to show photos??

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
markshanks

Re: All sorts of help needed!!?!

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed May 30, 2007 6:14 pm

markshanks wrote:
1) How do you actually install a plugin??? I want to try the foobar plugin, but I have tried copying the foo-xlobby.dll into the plugins folder, a foobar folder in the plugins folder, and in the main folder. Even so, when I start up xlobby and hit F2, only the xweather plugin is shown as active. Has the ability to add plugins been removed? I ask this as when I installed xlobby without the weather plugin, it still tried to show the weather, indicating that the plugins are now hardcoded into the program, rather than the program searching the plugin directory.

Normally plugins are installed just by copying plugins .dll file to xlobby\plugins folder, but pay atention to plugin instructions. Foobar, xfeather, and usb-uirt are "core plugins" installed by norm or by selection in setup. And no plugins are not hardcoded, everything u see is on skin, u can edit skin on whim via skineditor accessible by pause/break key. Also skins can be downloaded and different skin use different plugins, skin descroption shows whic plugins it uses.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed May 30, 2007 6:48 pm

2) How do you display photos??? There is a media folder for photos in the setup, but there is no menu option to view photos. Surely any front-end htpc software must be able to show photos??

What version of Xlobby are you trying to use? What skin are you using? I ask as I haven't fooled around too much with the latest executable. I just downloaded it, installed it, and using the default skin, it found all my pictures, created the database, and I see a menu option to goto my pictures (it has a camera lens associated with it).

Another way of seeing the menu list by doing the following:
1) Press F2 and go into the Xlobby Setup
2) then select Databases
3) In the "Databases" window there should be one called menu. Select it the click on Edit.
4) The DB Editor will open. Under "Item" is all the listings of the menu. Find "Pictures"
5) Then click on the "Advanced" tab. Verify that the Event is tagged to goto:goto pictures
6) If the event is not setup correctly click on the Add/Remove button just to the right. Note if no event is associated, then the button will say Add. If an event is associated, then the button will say remove.
7) The Select Event window will open, select/highlight "SKIN>goto>goto pictures" command (the Select button will become UN-Grayed if you do it right). Then click on "Select"
8) Close Setup and you should be able to navigate to your picture screen.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby markshanks on Thu May 31, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks. I now have the picture menu option working. For some reason it wasn't there before. Maybe because I didn't enter a picture folder during the startup? Alternatively, I might have accidentally deleted the menu option when I was cleaning up the menu, but that seems unlikely.

I still can't get the foobar plugin to work, although I'm not sure what I should even be seeing if it is working. I can point to foobar in the setup - external audio zones, and put the foo_xlobby.dll in the plugins directory, but neither of these have made any change to how the program functions.
markshanks

Postby lar282 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:18 am

markshanks wrote:I still can't get the foobar plugin to work, although I'm not sure what I should even be seeing if it is working. I can point to foobar in the setup - external audio zones, and put the foo_xlobby.dll in the plugins directory, but neither of these have made any change to how the program functions.

Foobar will not show up as a plugin in F2.
U must match the Foobar2000 version with the correct version of foo_xlobby.dll version. See downloads for versions
What happens when u try to play a song? Nothing or...?
lar282

Postby markshanks on Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:50 pm

lar282 wrote:
markshanks wrote:I still can't get the foobar plugin to work, although I'm not sure what I should even be seeing if it is working. I can point to foobar in the setup - external audio zones, and put the foo_xlobby.dll in the plugins directory, but neither of these have made any change to how the program functions.

Foobar will not show up as a plugin in F2.
U must match the Foobar2000 version with the correct version of foo_xlobby.dll version. See downloads for versions
What happens when u try to play a song? Nothing or...?

Songs do play, so does this mean that foobar is being used? I was hoping the plugin would give a better menu structure than the purgatory that is used by default. I am also very familiar with computers, and must say that I find the documentation with xlobby to be appalling. You mention that you need to match the foobar2000 version with the correct version of foo_xlobby.dll, but no where in the downloads does it contain the necessary version information. Also, when you click on the foobar plugin documentation link, it just takes you back to the main page.

Another problem I am now having is that I can't set up video folders correctly. If you hit F2 and choose a specific folder that has videos in it, it will then list those videos when you click the video link. However, if you try and do something *really complicated* like link to a folder that has folders in it that contain videos, you can't play the videos. Clicking on the folder just results in a black screen, as if it is trying to play the folder rather than navigate to its contents.

I also find the refresh videos option to be really annoying. You want it so that you can add videos and then just immediately access them through the video link. But no, you need to then go and reset and refresh the folder, unlike any other program like this I have tried.

Seriously, xlobby looks nice on the surface, but the more I am trying to use it, the more useless it is becoming. I certainly think the idea that it is going to be charged for is a joke. What the developer doesn't seem to realize (and I have programming experience) is that making a commercial version isn't just simply about charging money. The amount of software development required increases exponentially, as all sorts of things that can be unsupported in a free version need to be catered for if you expect people to pay for your software. It also seems to me that the programmer is adding new releases that are tinkering with relatively unimportant features rather than getting the core of the program fully developed.

I am hoping that xlobby does turn out well, but certainly the amount of time I have had to spend on it so far already indicates that it is nowhere near ready to be released commercially.
markshanks

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:46 pm

markshanks wrote:Seriously, xlobby looks nice on the surface, but the more I am trying to use it, the more useless it is becoming. I certainly think the idea that it is going to be charged for is a joke. What the developer doesn't seem to realize (and I have programming experience) is that making a commercial version isn't just simply about charging money. The amount of software development required increases exponentially, as all sorts of things that can be unsupported in a free version need to be catered for if you expect people to pay for your software. It also seems to me that the programmer is adding new releases that are tinkering with relatively unimportant features rather than getting the core of the program fully developed.

:shock: Thats a first. Usually people here are more and more awed as they keep tinkering under the hood... Especially for people who are "computer literate" or have formal education in computing this software is simply the best. Its only one which truely gives keys of HTPC to user, and for everybody else theres M$ crappy MCE.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:33 am

I also find the refresh videos option to be really annoying. You want it so that you can add videos and then just immediately access them through the video link. But no, you need to then go and reset and refresh the folder, unlike any other program like this I have tried.

You could perform a refresh when entering the movie screen. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the extra button, but then again you come across as a pretty impatient sort of individual, who doesn't quite understand the full power of this software. 3 days and your already bitchin...must be a new record.

I was hoping the plugin would give a better menu structure than the purgatory that is used by default

What more do you want....set up your database to select the artist, then their album, then the tracks...pretty basic, but highly effective.
*EDIT*
Looking over that quote above, you have to also realize that it is not the player that determines the menu structure to display within Xlobby, it's up to the user. You have lot's of different ways to display the database for music, from simple directory structure to displaying Artist>Album>Tracks. It's for you to decide in "F2(Setup)/Databases/Import". Steven only gives you one way, and what he feels would be the most praticle, common way. If it's not the way you want it, change it...simple as that.

Also concerning Foobar, are you using the latest foo_xlobby1.2.zip or the original one that Steven supplied. If you look further down this post, Lasse gives the link to it (and the link is still valid).
*EDIT DONE*

So do you think that you could sit in front of photoshop and know it within a couple of hours, or Adobe Premiere, Vegas Video, AutoCAD, Mentor Graphics...all powerful pieces of software geared for very specific duties. XLobby is in that league, takes time and alot of farting around to learn and fully understand just how powerful it really is. Instead of bitching about it only after a few days of use, why don't you ask, and talk about something constructive...something that will really help you out.

Guys here seem to have put XLobby to good use. Buddabing, myself, Jawaldo, dgemily, the whole entire French Team, to name a few. Did we do it overnight...no, but we've been able to do it. Like P3rv stated, if you want something simple that works out of the box, there's MCE. If you want something that takes a little tweaking but could be solid, there's MediaPortal or GAM. If you want something that is highly customizable, stick around and learn something...the more you learn about Xlobby, the more you will appreciate all that Steven has done. Or since you have programmed in the past, leave and create your own frontend that does what you want it to do.

Oh, and some other advice, if your going to flame, chances are you won't get any help, so you'd be better off going with one of the other programs if that's the way you are.
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:35 pm

Marbles_00 wrote: 3 days and your already bitchin...must be a new record.

Marb, i think u forgot this guy http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4303 :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Well, to me, the guy in that post was inquiring if Xlobby would be a replacement for Meedio, and in the end suit his needs. He didn't come and start flaming only after using the program for less then a week. I guess he realized it wasn't what he was looking for and moved on. I don't have a problem with those sorts of individuals. I mean, each to their own.

I DO have a problem with individuals who come here and are total newbies (well I don't have a problem with newbies as we all were newbies at some point), ask for help, and then start flaming because they don't totally understand it, and...flaming when we're trying to help the individual out. It's pretty frustrating...and I'm trying to bite my tongue...but...F%$K :!: :!: :!:

Ah...I feel much better now :D
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:15 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Well, to me, the guy in that post was inquiring if Xlobby would be a replacement for Meedio, and in the end suit his needs. He didn't come and start flaming only after using the program for less then a week. I guess he realized it wasn't what he was looking for and moved on. I don't have a problem with those sorts of individuals. I mean, each to their own.

After re-reading that thread, i agree. I think he had a little bit of healthy attitude though, but thats prolly due to meedio situation. I would be pretty pissed if i would have to give up lobby.
P3rv3rt B3ar