Needing USB-UIRT / XLobby help

Xlobby plugin development

Needing USB-UIRT / XLobby help

Postby DustBunny on Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:31 am

Just got my USB-UIRT, but having problems.

- Physically plugged it in,
- WinXP detected it,
- installed the latest drivers from http://www.usbuirt.com
- downloaded USB-UIRT/XLobby plugin via the Download section of XLobby setup,
- went to IR Plugin, selected XLobby
- clicked "down", hit Set, pressed "down" on remote, clicked Learn until the plgin learned the signal
- did the same for "up", "left", "right", "enter"

When I go back into XLobby, anything I press on the remote acts like the "down" command. The USB-UIRT blinks, but won't do anything but go down on menus and such.

I'm not using Girder or anything else; just the XLobby plugin.
I am also using a BTC9019 RF keyboard; can't imagine that's causing problems, though.
Using latest XLobby2 release.

:cry:

What am I doing wrong?
DustBunny

Postby DustBunny on Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:54 pm

Not quite understanding the proper procedure to have XLobby learn remote codes via USB-UIRT. Can't find any documentation anywhere either.

Do I press SET and hit the remote button?
What is the difference between the SET and LEARN portions of the process?

The code I am getting from my remote is enormous... like 70 characters or so... is this really correct?

Anyone? Or can anyone at least point me toward a readme file or anything?
DustBunny

Postby C-moi on Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:14 pm

C-moi

Postby rbziggy on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:44 pm

I managed to get it working. I think with the following:

- IR Database tab (fairly obviously)
- Click on the New Device tab and create an entry for the device you want to communicate to.
- On the device tab find your new device...
- Click New to create the name of the button you want to learn and enter the name (e.g. Power) in the name field.

So far should be straightforward - now the tricky bit.

- Now I think you may need to click the Set field (it will go green) [Not sure why or if this step is actually needed but it seemed to work for me; so I include it.]
- Then click Learn (a progress bar will then come up) and press the button on the remote. Hold the button down until XL 'recognises' the code. (You will probably need to get the remote within just a few inches of the USBUIRT.)

- Repeat for each button! Yawn!

On length, codes can be variable in length (for my device they seem to be 150 odd characters. I know from using a pronto they can be much smaller or, indeed, longer than this). One tip is that each device / remote tend to use codes about the same length for all commands. So if you see a short or unusually long, it's probably not learned it properly. Try again!

To use the recorded code assign it in the Event section. You will need to assign each code to an event which can then be used in XL screens in the normal way. Watch out here for the XL bug which doesnt always assign the command you think when you originally add the IR command to your new event. Always recheck the assignment is right by clicking on an existing event and then going back to your new one. If it hasn't picked it up, reassign it and it will hold on the second go (bit of a pain but once done its ok).

Having done the above myself, I find XL and USBUIRT works very well in operation.

Hope the above helps.
rbziggy

Postby rbziggy on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:45 pm

rbziggy wrote:- IR Database tab (fairly obviously)

Doh - IR Plugin tab.
rbziggy

Postby DustBunny on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm

I'm just trying to use the remote to navigate around XLobby... not trying to control any real home theater components yet.

So I'd like the up/down/left/right/enter controls from my remote to navigate around in XLobby. Don't I change the XLobby "device" settings? Or am I missing something simple here? :oops:
DustBunny

Postby rembetis on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:22 pm

DustBunny wrote:I'm just trying to use the remote to navigate around XLobby

rbziggy gave you some good instructions. It sounds complicated but it really isn't. Just use the xlobby device, as you suggested. Create commands for up, down, left, right, and enter, if they are not there already. Then have the UIRT learn them. This is a two-step process, as rbziggy described -- SET and then LEARN the same signal. Hold the remote about 6 inches in front of the UIRT and hold the button until the signal is registed (SET happens much quicker than LEARN).

After that, you will need to go into the Events section, find the navigational commands (within a drop-down folder called "navigation" in most skins). With each navigational command highlighted (at the blue diamond level), go to the "Trigger" tab on the right side of the page, the IR tab on the bottom, select the device (xlobby) and the command and then hit "Add."

Depending on how robustly the skin you have chosen is coded, you may or may not have to tweak navigation within the skin. For instance, if a skinner wasn't careful, then not all screens have intuitive navigational flow, meaning a button to the right may or may not be accessed by hitting "right", etc. To clean this up, you'll need to open the skin editor (Pause/Break key), highlight the button in question, and select the Navigation tab. From there follow the directions for re-assigning where a given direction takes you. Again, though, this might not be necessary. If you run into a problem where you can't seem to assign navigation to a specific button, take a look at this thread.

Good luck!
rembetis

Postby DustBunny on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:44 pm

After that, you will need to go into the Events section, find the navigational commands (within a drop-down folder called "navigation" in most skins). With each navigational command highlighted (at the blue diamond level), go to the "Trigger" tab on the right side of the page, the IR tab on the bottom, select the device (xlobby) and the command and then hit "Add."

Whoops... I was missing doing all this. Thanks for the help, all. I'll give it a try tonight.
DustBunny

Postby DustBunny on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:42 pm

:cry:

I still can't get it to work. Added the triggers in the Events section... the last one I added was the "Up" command. Now, no matter what button I press on the remote, Xlobby navigates up.

In the IR Plugin section, the ID for all commands is "430F105115F1"... that can't be right. The characters in the Learn portion are all different, the "received ID" shows a different string of characters as well when I press any remote button. I select the command (i.e. "down"), press "Set", the field turns green, I hit the down button on the remote, the field turns grey, but always reads "430F105115F1" just like all the other IR Commands.

Confusing...
DustBunny

Postby DustBunny on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:59 pm

Well, I found a workaround of sorts. I edited the XML file for the Xlobby IR commands to reflect the codes the "Received ID" would show when I pressed a remote button. Wasn't getting "Set" to work properly somehow.

Anyway, now I've opened another can of worms. I'm using Baddabing's Redeux II skin and it works perfectly with up/down/left/right arrows on a keyboard but on most of the pages -- with the remote -- it navigates really weird (i.e. I press down on the remote and it jumps two buttons to the right, etc.) Wonder if my USB-UIRT is flaky somehow.

Is there some kind of test utility for the USB-UIRT or is there another way I can test it?
DustBunny

Postby dalanik on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:49 pm

DustBunny wrote:Is there some kind of test utility for the USB-UIRT or is there another way I can test it?

Girder should work with it?

D.
dalanik

Postby galileo2000 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:52 am

Not sure what the problem is. USB-UIRT works flawlessly with Xlobby on my HTPC. You might want to upgrade firmware and drivers. You also might want to contact Jon, developer of USB -UIRT at mailto:support@usbuirt.com. He is extremely helpful and responsive.
galileo2000

Postby CiXel on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:44 pm

DustBunny wrote::cry:

In the IR Plugin section, the ID for all commands is "430F105115F1"... that can't be right. The characters in the Learn portion are all different, the "received ID" shows a different string of characters as well when I press any remote button. I select the command (i.e. "down"), press "Set", the field turns green, I hit the down button on the remote, the field turns grey, but always reads "430F105115F1" just like all the other IR Commands.

Confusing...

Funny, I get a similar thing happening with set when I use the remote from my dvd player, but when I use my ReplayTV remote, I get unique numbers.

How did you find the unique numbers from your remote to edit the XML with?
CiXel

Postby sonofdbn on Tue May 23, 2006 1:39 pm

DustBunny wrote::cry:

I still can't get it to work. Added the triggers in the Events section... the last one I added was the "Up" command. Now, no matter what button I press on the remote, Xlobby navigates up.

Confusing...

I'm trying to use the IR plugin with my USB-UIRT and I have the same problem except that whatever I do, Xlobby navigates down: same ID ("430F105115F1") for up, down and enter (haven't tried any more).

I'm not sure what the function of the Status box is in the IR Plugin screen, but the Received ID there seems to display one ID very briefly, and then change to another one when I point the remote at the USB-UIRT and hold down a key. That second ID is different from the ID shown in the ID field for that key.

For example, when I hold the "down" key, it seems to show the infamous "430F105115F1" briefly (not completely sure as it's very brief), and then changes to "431D410440F0".

I've tried this with various remotes (Pioneer, Marantz, JVC) and still get the same problem. Can anyone help? (I'm using xlobby2.exe Build Date 4 April 2006.)
sonofdbn

Postby sharp_1 on Tue May 23, 2006 1:59 pm

Are you sure your remote is not using togglebit technology?
If so use this guide to help you create a toggle button: http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4201
sharp_1

Next