Xlobby and PDA 's

Speak your mind

Xlobby and PDA 's

Postby aldiallo on Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here, I just wanted to know f xlobby only support pocket pc pda's or can a palm os pda be used also, and if it is not the case at the moment would this be possible in the future?

Many thanks

I hope I put this on the right section
aldiallo

Postby Hiller on Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:32 pm

I think you are in the right section :D

At the moment I'm pretty sure it's only support for Pocket PC and other desktop/tablet PC's. I don't know how much work it would take to port to PalmOS but I don't think it would be easy...

Steve
Hiller

Postby aldiallo on Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:32 pm

Hiller wrote:I think you are in the right section :D

At the moment I'm pretty sure it's only support for Pocket PC and other desktop/tablet PC's. I don't know how much work it would take to port to PalmOS but I don't think it would be easy...

Steve
thanks for the fast reply, I do imagine taht it would not be easy but the question can it be done and if there's any plan of doing it.

Thanks again
aldiallo

Postby jowaldo on Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:24 pm

The palm os doesn't run .net software. Supposedly there is a group trying to port over .net to the PalmOS and a few other OS's but in the meantime without that, it would not be that easy. Even then when they do release it, it still may not be easy. So I wouldn't expect any time soon.
jowaldo

Postby aldiallo on Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:53 pm

jowaldo wrote:The palm os doesn't run .net software. Supposedly there is a group trying to port over .net to the PalmOS and a few other OS's but in the meantime without that, it would not be that easy. Even then when they do release it, it still may not be easy. So I wouldn't expect any time soon.
Many Thaks for your reply jowaldo, now i know what pda i should buy :wink:
aldiallo

Postby tsjdesign on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:31 pm

This is a shame - I was just playing with a Tapwave Zodiac, which would be absolutely perfect as a remote. Small problem - only bluetooth. Big Problem - palm os...

Slick unit, though

http://www.tapwave.com/

Todd
tsjdesign

Postby oboka on Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:04 am

Porting the pocket pc client to palmos shouldn't be difficult. PalmOS API, is very easy to use. Is there any documentation about the protocol xlobby uses?

I would port it to palm OS if I had access to the documentation...

This leads me to another question... Is this project going to be open source sometime?
oboka

Postby stevenhanna6 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:31 am

Porting the pocket pc client to palmos shouldn't be difficult. PalmOS API, is very easy to use. Is there any documentation about the protocol xlobby uses?

I briefly looked into this a while ago but there was like a total of 2 people that wanted it. The protocol isn't too complicated but I dont have the time to write it out. The simple solution is to just buy a pocket pc.

This leads me to another question... Is this project going to be open source sometime?

nope
stevenhanna6

Postby oboka on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:04 am

I could write a port to PalmOS... basicly because I own a Palm and I would like to use it with Xlobby... :-)

All I need is the info about the protocol...
oboka

Postby stevenhanna6 on Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:22 pm

do you have any experience writing multithreaded palm apps? I really dont want to take time away from xlobby to write out the protocol if you might be unsure if you can do it or not.

The main thing you will have to do is

1. multithreaded
2. creating byte arrays and converting them to images
3. drawing images to certain x,y locations on the device
4. responding to screen taps
5. oh and establishing a tcp channel to transfer byte data
stevenhanna6

Postby hjackson on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:33 pm

Steven, I don't have a Palm, (I have 2 Ipaqs), but if you had a client app for the Palm, myself and I would guess many more would probably purchase one. As well, more people have Palm devices than PocketPCs. I should also say that there are some very cool Palm devices out there that would make a nifty client/remote. I hope you or oboka can make a port!

hjackson
hjackson

Postby oboka on Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:42 pm

Latest version of palmos (5) doesn't support multithread. There must be some workaround to do multithread. Where is used multithread?

Rest of requeriments are easy...
oboka

Postby tsjdesign on Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:44 pm

There is definately a wider assortment of palm devices than ppc, some which would make fantastic remotes. I would definately purchase a palm device if xlobby client were supported.

Then again, it's easy for the code-writing impaired to ask for stuff :)

-T
tsjdesign

Postby fletch76 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:44 am

I would be ecstatic if one of you were successful in porting xlobby to Palm OS, as I have 3 unused Palm devices at the moment...
fletch76

Postby oboka on Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:47 am

If there is anyone out there who has the communication protocol documented I will try to port it...
oboka

Next