what is best way to get from PC to HDTV

V3 help and support questions

what is best way to get from PC to HDTV

Postby billberet on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:40 pm

hey
here is a scenario with no specific brand names.

a video card with vga and dmi outputs
how can i get from the DMI to the tv via (component) Y-Pb-Pr

xlobby server has dual out, VGA is being used for touchscreen, DMI i want to send to my Video Matrix via component
how does everyone else get from their PC to TV using component?

or is there a calrad solution to this.
billberet

Re: what is best way to get from PC to HDTV

Postby lpg on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:02 pm

[quote="billberet"]
xlobby server has dual out, VGA is being used for touchscreen, DMI i want to send to my Video Matrix via component
how does everyone else get from their PC to TV using component?
quote]

Here is a VGA Cable form parts express: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-700

But here is what it was intended for:

Response from Parts Express:
The 181-700 is not intended to allow you to watch DVDs from a DVD player to a computer monitor. The 181-700 cable just "adapts" it doesn't convert. Nearly all computer monitors need an RGB signal, as compared to the component (Y, Pr, Pb) signal that a DVD player outputs. To view a component signal on an RGB monitor requires a transcoder, which converts the component to an RGB signal. However, many projectors and rare monitors will accept a component signal via their HD-15 (VGA or RGB) port. This is one of the primary uses for this cable. For the cable to work your display it must accept component inputs.
lpg

Postby billberet on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:09 pm

yea, i tried one of those cables and it was a no go without a transcoder.
there is no way to go from a vga to component without some kind of electronics.

my tv does have a vga connector on it, i may have to go that route, but that limits me to one tv, since
i won't be able to use my video matrix to blast the signal to other tv's
i'll just suck it up, and have xlobby only run on one tv.

thanks

***edit***
i found some DIY specs, and the parts are not that expensive, i'm going to try to make my own
Last edited by billberet on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billberet

Postby lpg on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:15 pm

lpg

Postby billberet on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:28 pm

exactly, i was pricing them around $200 us

i'll let you know what the DIY price is after i get everything.
billberet

Postby wesblack on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Bill,

We have all types of Scalers & Converters that can do this but in many cases they do more then what you need and can be expensive. The best solution is to replace the video card or add a new video card if your motherboard will support 2 cards. If you do this then you will still have VGA out for touchscreens and the HDMI or component out card for HD playback.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby billberet on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Hey Wes,

my whole system is based on component video, so i can't stray to hdmi, or vga.
The component has a true-er signal, because it does not have the security overhead as HDMI
so i always stick to that standard.

i found the answer to all my problems
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage ... -%20Retail

i just ordered it, 1 day delivery since i live in NY
their warehouse is in NJ, stone throw away

then i can output to my video matrix and all will be well with the world.
billberet

Postby Jay on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:16 pm

That should do it
Jay

Postby wesblack on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Bill,

Make sure you have the most rescent drivers for the card, ATI is notorious for driver issues. Check there website first. We use special S3 cards for all our component video and VGA outputs. They provided special drivers for us so we could resize the VGA and component video by scaling pixel by pixel, this guaranteed us that we could always size to any format or display. Most of the ATI and NVIDIA video cards that I have used in the past have poor component video and crapy-buggy resizing utilities that only allow you to adjust vertical and horizontal centering and not adjust for width or height. Try comparison testing yourself, VGA on video cards has always been better for us + you have the options to increase vertical + horizontal refresh rates, etc. I have some inside knowledege from suppliers overseas that most manufactures are not going to manufacture component out video combo cards anymore, most of them have moved future production lines to HDMI, which I think is a big mistake because of all the DRM issues and so many problems with distance and compatibility. Even S3 has warned us that they have dropped component video as well unless we make a huge commitment to order more than 1K cards. The main reason is the pressure from studios and individuals who want protection for there work, "DRM" and for gamers they want a simple scalable all in one cable hookups for sound and video that supports 1080P and beyond.

Let me know what you find out and what you think of the ATI card.

Good Luck ! :D

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby billberet on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

i'll let you know the results.
I got the card idea from one of the guys on my team.
he used it on his slimline HTPC (prior to xlobby) and it worked without any issues.
straight component to the tv.

i understand your annoyance toward moving to HDMI, i know the feeling, and i agree it's not the correct move.

that's y i always stick to component on home theater. people think they have 1080p on HDMI they think that they are actually getting 1080p
but they forget all the security overhead that takes away from the signal.
every time i'm looking at TV's in some store, and the guy starts babbling to me about HDMI and HD
I tell them, the best signal you will ever get is with an arial antenna. that is the ONLY TRUE HD signal
there is no compression over the airwaves. no one believes me, so i just shrug and move on.

as for the card
i figured it's a cheap investment, so even if i do have issues, i can relocate it to another machine, and i can try the one you recommend.
but i don't think i should have any issues.
i'll keep you posted, i should have it completed by end of this week.
billberet

Postby billberet on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:11 pm

got the ati card all configured and it is working sweet
no issues, outside of xlobby, i use zoom max with cyberlink dvd 6 drivers

inside xlobby i get some crashing when i view iso files (movies)
i'm sure the problem is on my end, on configuring xlobby to use the proper dvd graph.

but otherwise, the ATI card is smooth, i am using the latest drivers i downloaded.
i'm using 1st monitor with my touchscreen, and the component out is going to my video matrix to be distributed.
so out of 5 stars, i give it 5
:)
billberet