Whats going to happen after Nov. 30?

Speak your mind

Whats going to happen after Nov. 30?

Postby hansmaravilla on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:36 pm

are we getting a glimpse of the new version 3 after nov 30? which is the expiry date of the latest compiled exe?
hansmaravilla

Re: Whats going to happen after Nov. 30?

Postby Axalotaqs on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:19 pm

Download and install Media Portal. Seriously. XLobby is expired, and will no longer be free soon (and pricing is secretive). Thank you, XLobby, for the last year's worth of use of your program... I liked most of it but it's become clear to me it's time to move on.
Axalotaqs

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:53 pm

MediaPortal is a nice program, so is J.River MC (I've been playing with that recently, though it does not have a nice polished look of Xlobby or MP), Got All Media, and looks like LinuxMCE is another valid option, if you want to try using a Linux OS.

XLobby is expired, and will no longer be free soon

Well, not exactly. You still can download the free versions from my Xlobby2 help site linked in my signature, as well as Sharp_1's help site. I think he has more updates than I...I only have the main program, and the three last (Aug.06 , Nov.06, and Feb.07) updates. What remains to be seen is how much support the free version will get, or be allowed to be discussed on this forum, or via IRC.

pricing is secretive

Again your incorrect. I think Steven made an announcement at the end of Oct....beginning of Nov. about if you wish to purchase a copy of Xlobby2, as well as the price...with the allowance of acquiring version 3 when it becomes available. Though that offer is now expired (though maybe sending a message to Wes/Steven, begging them...kissing their asses (ahh come on, you know what I mean...can't have a little humor at the expense of others), may score you a copy) It is yet to be seen how much future support the DIY group here will get after the initial release of version 3. All that had to be done at the time was to send Wes an email, or something like that.

liked most of it but it's become clear to me it's time to move on

Each to their own, and best of luck to whichever piece of software you may choose to use in the end.

*EDIT*
To even help you out about the "pricing is secretive" comment, here is the link to Steven's post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5985

They have also stated that their market is primarily going to be the installer market and not the DIY market, so if you want to get a copy of xlobby in the future, plan on getting it through one of their qualified installers/distributors, and expect it to be bundled with some Calrad equipment as well.
Marbles_00

Postby zap on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 am

Axalotaqs wrote:Download and install Media Portal.

I must be doing something wrong, because every time I've tried M.P., I'm left thinking "wow, what a colossal pile of steaming dung."

I recently gave it yet another shot, thinking, "okay, maybe it was just a fluke last time", on two completely different systems since the last time I tried it, and came away with the same feeling before uninstalling it from both.

For me, virtually noting in MP ever seems to work without major, deal-breaking flaws, and the interface seems slow and clunky. The setup app crashes, and seems like a pile of junk. I've never been able to fathom it having even the most basic level WAF.

I'm readily admit that it must be my fault, since people rave about M.P., so it must work, but I'd love to know what I'm missing.
zap

Postby lar282 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:38 am

I think u are doing something wrong. Have u asked on MP forum? Does the logs say anything.

anyway, feels really wrong to discuss MP here!

//Lasse
lar282

Postby zap on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:30 pm

True.

Believe me, I'd rather just stick with xlobby- and I will for the foreseeable future. The only thing that concerns me, is if some problem ever crops up, will there still be anyone around here to ask for tech advice.
zap