Here's a website on building very basic RCA cables:
http://www.bcae1.com/rcacable.htm

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Awesome, thanks!!!
scottw

Postby rembetis on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:44 pm

One of the guys on the PE board that bought one just posted his initial impressions:

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=312494
rembetis

Postby scottw on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:57 pm

Thanks, sounds like a winner. I already ordered one!!!
scottw

Postby samgreco on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:26 am

I'm a wee bit concerned about the High-Pass, Low-Pass thing. I would love to know if the crossover is in the amp or the processor. But the way I read it the first 4 channels are high-pass while the last 2 are low.

I expect it's in the processor.
samgreco

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:07 am

I'm pretty sure the low pass filter is incorporated in the input module and not the amp. Looking at the specifications, it defines low pass signals from the Audio Input Processor pinout for if a cable has to be made if not used with the 6CHAMP. Below that for some of the specifications of the 6CHAMP it indicates the following:

Output Power 10Hz-20KHz 30Watt x 6 @ <.03% THD
    Harmonic Distortion <0.5% @ 10Hz-20KHz @ 6 x 30 watts

That would indicate to me that the amp plays full audio from all channels.

Hope that helps.
Marbles_00

Postby samgreco on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:32 am

it defines low pass signals from the Audio Input Processor pinout

Thanks Marbles, missed that.

I think I may have to buy a few :)
samgreco

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:26 pm

Marbles_00:

Do you think it would be possible to run a pair of speakers off one channel(i.e. two left side speakers to one channel and two right side speakers to another channel)? I know my ohm load would change to 4 ohms with 2 speakers on same channel but it looks like we can run a min. 2 ohm load with no problem with this amp.

Here is what I want to do, I am thinking that 2 of these 6 channel amps should do the trick.

My Zones: (all in stereo)
Zone1=Kitchen(2 speakers)/FamilyRoom(2 speakers) with separate volume controls
Zone2=MasterBedroom(2 speakers)/MasterBath((2 speakers) with separate volume controls
Zone3=GameRoom(2 speakers)/Bath(2 speakers) with separate volume controls
Zone4=HomeOffice(2 speakers)
Zone5=Garage(2 speakers)
Zone6=Patio(2 speakers)

Thanks for any direction!!!
sharp_1

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:05 pm

From what I have read, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to run at 4 ohms (two 8 ohm speakers in parallel). One simple way of checking is to run a set of four speakers on one stereo pair and feel how warm the amp gets. If it starts getting too hot to touch, then I would advise to only use one set of 8 ohm speakers.

I'm am curious to know what chip they are using to be able to acheive a 2 ohm rating. I was first thinking of a Tripath chip (http://www.tripath.com). Considering the power output I was thinking a TK2050, but it doesn't say that it can be loaded down to two ohms (I've only looked breifly at the datasheets).

I don't think its a National Semi chip (LM3875 series) as the torrodial transformer used to properly power that series of chip for that many channels, alone, weighs more than that amp.

On a side note. To let you know, I have not seen this amp before rem's orginal post. Also I don't like their limited data specifications and the fact that they don't have a website, or at least a valid one, to find out more info. In fact, I can't find anything on this amp except for the ebay listing and the tech talk on parts express. Has anyone called BSG Labs 1-800 number to find out more info on the amp? I've tried but its one of those 1-800 numbers that can't be reached here in Canada. I have emailed some people that have left feedback with etom56 and they have all liked this amp though...so that's a plus. I've also been talking to etom56, and I'm hoping that he will find it in his heart to ship outside of the US. Until I have one of these in my hands that I can personally try out, please...please don't take what I say in stone as right now, everything is assumptions from previous experiences. I would not want to give anyone false hopes if something doesn't work out the way they intended.
Marbles_00

Postby rembetis on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:26 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Please don't take what I say in stone as right now, everything is assumptions from previous experiences. I would not want to give anyone false hopes if something doesn't work out the way they intended.

That goes double for me, as Marbles obviously has a lot more experience with and knowledge of amps than I do. *Please* don't hold me accountable if this thing doesn't meet your needs.

With that being said, I actually got mine today, and very briefly hooked it to a soundcard and some old Bose 201s (yeah, yeah, I know they blow -- but they're my woodshop speakers, and a high school purchase, so go easy on me). What can I say -- its an amp, and a very inexpensive one at that. From what I can tell, it delivers what it promises, at least with 8 ohm speakers on 2 channels. I noticed the gain knobs on the amp itself were turned a bit down from full, so I cranked 'em all the way, turned to preamp to about half, and was pretty happy with the volume level. Might have been my imagination, but I thought the sound got a little harsh and bright with the gain there, so I dialed it back a bit again and it mellowed out a little. It will be some time before I can test all 6 channels and can't promise anything.

Some definite caveats to keep in mind:
a) the speaker wire inputs are tiny, require a tiny screwdriver to tighten, and about as ghetto as you will find. I just barely squeezed 16 gauge wire into them. Anybody who needs to switch up wires on these on a regular basis will want to rig up better binding posts somehow.
b) The cables feeding power to the preamp and input from preamp to amp are very short (maybe a foot) so if you plan to separate those components you will need to make your own cables.
c) The facts/ramifications of the low/high pass crossover coming out of the preamp are still unclear to me.
d) These were clearly not designed for audiophiles. They are commercial amps for business applications. Now, whether any substantive and demonstrable difference exists between this amp and say a 30watt boutique tube amp, I can't say. I just don't have golden ears.
Last edited by rembetis on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rembetis

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:38 pm

Rem,

Its up to you whether you want to do it or not, but could you open the case and see what the chipset is inside. There may not be much info on the amp itself, but finding out the IC that are being used could be all that's needed. Once known, we can look up the datasheets on those chips and hope to shed some light on what this amp may or may not do.

As said, totally your call.

*EDIT*
Oh, and how does the amp react if you run speakers and 100' of 16AWG speaker wire? Most of us who will want to run these things as zoning amps will be very interested in how they behave in this sort of enviroment.

*EDIT again*
Actually Rem, I'm not sure of your BOSE speakers and how effecient they are, but if they are of average value (87db to 90db) or below and it sounds good, then that is a pretty good test as to how the amp behaves. Of course the more effencient the speaker the better, but you've done a good test.
Marbles_00

Postby rembetis on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:59 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Its up to you whether you want to do it or not, but could you open the case and see what the chipset is inside. There may not be much info on the amp itself, but finding out the IC that are being used could be all that's needed. Once known, we can look up the datasheets on those chips and hope to shed some light on what this amp may or may not do.

Well, I opened her up but I don't know how much info I could glean. The only identifying info on the chip is: SK00025, Rev: 1.05. Copyright BSG Laboratories.

Now, doing a search on BSG turned this up in the feedback of an old (2001) review for some crazy gaming chair called the Intensor: "Well.... BSG Labs that provide the Intensor chair is out of business." Sure enough, http://www.bsglabs.com/ is abandoned. FWIW, build date on this thing is Oct. of '98. Needless to say, digital amps have come a long way since then.

All this helps explain how some guy ended up with 100s of these amps, and is selling them for cheap. It doesn't, however, shed much light on the amps themselves.

Sorry.
Last edited by rembetis on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rembetis

Postby scottw on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:00 pm

I would never think about blaming anybody for any results of this amp, I am just glad you posted it.

I got an email from the seller telling me he ran out of power cables for the preamp unit and would have them on Monday, so he would ship then.

I am no audiophile by far, I just want to listen to some music in different rooms without paying an arm and a leg. I will be getting some in-celing speakers for each room so hopefully it will be loud enough for that, if so it's well worth it. If not $30 lost, not that big of a deal.

Again thanks for posting it and thanks Marbles for all the help/advise.
scottw

Postby rembetis on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:06 pm

The mystery deepens. This from a press release for the Intensor: "The chair, with a specially-designed amplifier, has multiple patents pending. It also consists of five, high performance built-in speakers; full range and bass drivers; left and right mid-range drivers and a high-frequency tweeter. Sound vibrations carry though the polypropylene surface to the user's body, thus providing an incredible overall tactile and moving experience."

Are these reboxed Intensor amps? Do these use the same chip? Your guess is as good as mine.
rembetis

PreviousNext