Griffin Powermate Volume controll & Xlobby

Speak your mind

Griffin Powermate Volume controll & Xlobby

Postby ken on Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:39 pm

Can I get this to work with X-lobby?

So far I'm using Heavy metal on a Viesonic airpanel via rdp sending comands through Girder to control my receiver.

I don't want to volume and mute winamp for a number of reasons. I want this to go via my receiver that is working great now.

To start I just want to mute V+ and Vol-

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

Thanks for the info.
ken

Postby alaricljs on Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:58 pm

Well, It won't be as nice as a real knob on the receiver.

The Powermate can be programmed to send keypresses. Spin the knob one way, and you get a pile of key {x} spin it the other, and a pile of key {y}... if this will control your receiver to your liking, then it will work.

Me? There's nothing in the world like a true analog volume control.
alaricljs

Postby ken on Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:30 pm

alaricljs wrote:Well, It won't be as nice as a real knob on the receiver.

The Powermate can be programmed to send keypresses. Spin the knob one way, and you get a pile of key {x} spin it the other, and a pile of key {y}... if this will control your receiver to your liking, then it will work.

I just need to know how to incorperate it into XL.

I'm all with you on a good heavy Knob for the receiver. But this thing still beats tapping the screan 20 times.

And I'll get a few brownie points from the wife!

TRhanks
ken

Postby ken on Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:34 pm

alaricljs wrote:Well, It won't be as nice as a real knob on the receiver.

I guess I could just bypass XL and make it work with Girder alone. The only thing I can see better if I use it via XL is being to change things depending on the application.

It does r rotation right rotation depressed left rotation and left rotation depressed. also it does short and long depress.

Thats a lot of options.

Thanks again
ken

Postby MFan on Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:29 am

ken,

If you want the get the knob to do different things based on which part of xlobby you are in, you can do this in conjunction with girder. For example, suppose you wanted the knob to do one set of things when in music and another set of things when in the movie section. You could create 2 groups in girder, one group reacts to knob input for music, and another group that reacts to knob inputs for movies.

Then you could add an action to the event that causes xlobby to enter the music section. That action would send a command to girder, telling girder to enable the music group of commands and disable to movies group of commands. You would do a similar thing for the event to enter the movies section of xlobby.
MFan

Postby ken on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:02 pm

MFan wrote:ken,

If you want the get the knob to do different things based on which part of xlobby you are in, you can do this in conjunction with girder. For example, suppose you wanted the knob to do one set of things when in music and another set of things when in the movie section. You could create 2 groups in girder, one group reacts to knob input for music, and another group that reacts to knob inputs for movies.

Then you could add an action to the event that causes xlobby to enter the music section. That action would send a command to girder, telling girder to enable the music group of commands and disable to movies group of commands. You would do a similar thing for the event to enter the movies section of xlobby.

Thats good to here.

First I just want to get the Volume and mute to work. Curently I use XL and Girder to send commands via a serial port plgin for Girder.

I have all my volumes and mutes in XL programd for this.

A little new and will need some help to get this working.

What would be the first step to do ?

Thanks
ken

Postby MFan on Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:58 pm

Ken,

The first thing to do is to get girder setup to execute the commands. Here is an example file that may be of some help:

http://webpages.charter.net/mfan/Example%20File.GML

In this example, I use a firefly remote to raise the volume of winamp or zoomplayer. Note that the volume up and down in each group are triggered by the same firefly button presses. This is a little different than you want to do, but will serve as an illustration. The key to making this work is to enable one group and disable the other. This is the purpose of the commands in the powercommands group. These 2 commands are triggered by girder events that you can associate with an event to enter, say, the music section of xlobby or the movie section of xlobby.

The order of events should be:

Set up girder groups of commands for each device (or state).
Set up girder commands to enable and disable the groups of commands.
Attach a girder command to an xlobby event to trigger the appropriate group enable commands at the appropriate time.

And away you go...

Don
MFan