RS232 interface

Got an idea, post it here

RS232 interface

Postby DJD XTREEM on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:04 am

I'm new here..
Searched and read the whole forum for RS232 interface to control some rs232 elektronics.

Is there a way to do this.. OR someway to implement / plugin this..

What i need is to send some strings trough rs232 to lightcontrollers for the room.. So Xlobby controlls my lighting in the room..

Please let me know if it is possible.. Because i have to decide between now and a week if i gonna use Xlobby for this task.. Otherwise I have to search for some other software.. But I like Xlobby because it can be configured in all ways..

Many thanks in advance
DJD XTREEM From Holland
DJD XTREEM

Postby Roscoe62 on Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:29 pm

Hi DJD XTREEM,

The only way I know of to do this right now with XLobby is to use XLobby to Send Message to Girder, and then have Girder communicate with your lighting module via the Serial plugin for Girder.

I use the serial plugin to control my preamp/processor from Girder. I just have XLobby send the "trigger commands" to Girder, and Girder does the rest. It wasn't the easiest thing to get up and running, but I had a lot of help from people in the Girder forums and eventually we got there.

You'll find information by doing a search on the girder forums. They can now be found at http:\\www.promixis.com

Good luck!
Roscoe62

Postby DJD XTREEM on Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:32 pm

Well i played a while with girder, the only thing i can't find is how to trigger girder on commands from xlobby??
I tryed various stuff with input modules.. But can't find how to interface..

Maybe you can explame me a little bit how to do the interface.. At least get me somewhere in the right direction..

I'm an advanced PC user so a bit help in the right direction should help me out to get it working..

Many thanks in advance
DJD XTREEM

Postby Roscoe62 on Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:21 pm

DJD XTREEM,

Sorry for the late response! Well, you've got the first bit in place. Getting XLobby to send the trigger is step one of the control chain. The next, and more complicated step is to get Girder to issue the command to your device via the serial port.

You need to at least be running Girder 3.2.9 and also have the Generic Serial plugin for Girder. I use v 3.0.16. You need to enable this plugin within Girder, and then configure a serial port to use, set up a device name, and set up the comms parameters. How to do this is all listed within the serial plugin documentation. The only info you won't find within the documentation is the specific requirements of the device you're trying to control - that's got to come from the device manufacturer. This is the hard part, and usually the bit that takes the most time. If you can sort this part of it out, the rest is easy!

Then it's just a matter of setting up each command within a Girder group and then setting up the trigger names to activate them.

That's the high level view of how it works. For more details you're going to have to do some research over at the Girder site and at the site of the equipment you want to control.

Good luck!
Roscoe62

Postby DJD XTREEM on Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:15 pm

Allright.. Serial protocol won't be a problem.. The lights in my place are controlled by my own designed microcontrollers.. So that is no problem..

I will try it upcoming week and if there are some problems i just post them again..

I will try to shoot some screenshots and stuff to help the comunity with a nice and simple explenaiton how to control serial devices with Girder..
Also i will controll my audio board with girder because of the advanced settings of girder to controll my audio board.. :wink:
DJD XTREEM