Screen with scrolling news and/or stock information???

Speak your mind

Screen with scrolling news and/or stock information???

Postby BKGT on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:46 pm

Is there a way to create a screen that has scrolling information in a bar at the top or bottom? I'd like to have a news feed or stock ticker feed scroll along the bottom or the top of the screen that I am looking at (similar to what you might see on an airport screen... TV covering most of the screen with information about flights or a news ticker on the bottom or in a pane on the side).

Thanks
BKGT

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 pm

I think it can be done by setting up a text window and selecting "Enable Scroll".

Enter the skin editor (Pause/Break) and create your text window to display your news or stock feed. Under the ITEM tab, select the Text tab and check off Enable Scrolling at the top. This should make any text in that window scroll from right to left (if I recall).

Hope this was helpful.

David
Marbles_00

Postby vicom on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:02 pm

What about vertical scrolling?
vicom

Postby lar282 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:22 pm

doesn't exist yet.I think there is a feature req in the forum for that

//Lasse
lar282

Postby BKGT on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:10 pm

Thanks David.

I've created the text window now and it does indeed scroll from right to left. Now I need a way to use a variable that gets its information from an RSS feed or something like that. For the date, I've noticed the text is supplied with "datetime>F". Is there a way I can make a variable like that to feed to the textbox?

Also, are there any options to alter the speed and "smoothness" (for lack of a better word) at which the text scrolls?
BKGT

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:00 pm

I'm not aware of anyway to control the speed of the scrolling. I think that was hardcoded. Maybe we can put a feature request to Steven to make that user adjustable?

I haven't used RSS feeds too much, but I do know that a database is created that "stores" the different news titles. You then display the database as a catagory. To display the actual news feed of the title is by highlighting that specific title and the event is "category>news>description". This variable you can then scroll.

I wish I could help you more, but I would suggest looking and playing around with one of the skins available. In responding here, I breifly messed around with the Green skin (Hjackson edition), which uses news feeds.
Marbles_00

Postby BKGT on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:24 am

Thanks again David.

I have this sort of working. I think I need to learn more about how to use RSS in XLobby to get it to work properly.
BKGT