My new dream Xlobby PC

Speak your mind

My new dream Xlobby PC

Postby hjackson on Thu May 05, 2005 6:49 am

Expansion Solution's new HT PC with 100W OF AMPLIFIED SPEAKER OUTPUTS! This baby can either be configured for 7.1 or 4 zone audio with 125 W per channel!
http://www.expansionsolutions.com/media_center.htm
Either everyone is going to copy this type of box or it will be one of those great innovations that disappears into obscurity because the makers don't realize that marketing is more important than having a quality product (for further info on this statement please go to this URL http://www.i4u.com/article3319.html )

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Aaron on Thu May 05, 2005 3:33 pm

don't waste your $

a decent amp 100wpc in that small case is as likely as my schlong growing another 6" this year.

boy I hope note, it already grew 6" last year! :wink:

go buy the case if you like it, put together a PC and buy a decent amp.
Aaron

Postby jkzowski on Thu May 05, 2005 8:11 pm

I had to register and reply.

I saw this at a home improvement show (Expansion Solutions is a local company) and was very impressed with the sound quality and picture. The display was set up with somewhere near a 30" LCD TV, and 8 Legacy Audio (Also a previously locally owned company) speakers. I watched 20 minutes of a movie on this thing and could not believe it.
jkzowski

Postby Aaron on Fri May 06, 2005 1:37 am

Sorry I'm not trying to be mean and I'm not a videofile/audiphile snob but the is no way that can give "good" sound when compared to even the comparible (cost/power) receiver. The physics (electrical engineering principles) do not support it.

Is is also NOT difficult to get a "good" picture on a 30" TV... that is far from impressive to anyone I know. Plus a $10 used TV tuner card can give a decent SD output.
Aaron

Postby jkzowski on Fri May 06, 2005 2:40 pm

Aaron wrote:...the is no way that can give "good" sound when compared to even the comparible (cost/power) receiver. ...

What would you say that a comparible receiver is? I have yet to see one that includes an internet ready PC.

and, when you tell me that what I called 'good' sound really isn't, that does make you sound like an audiophile snob.
jkzowski

Postby rubbah on Fri May 06, 2005 2:59 pm

would have been cool to see an inside picture of this box..
rubbah

Postby Aaron on Fri May 06, 2005 3:56 pm

comparable in price... whatever that price range. No receiver don't have a PC inside... so deduct the price of the PC parts from the unit to see how much "value" you get in an audio amplifier.
Aaron

Postby hjackson on Sat May 07, 2005 6:39 pm

At the AVS Forum, I was directed to this link: http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/lcaudi ... ppulse.htm

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Aaron on Sat May 07, 2005 6:55 pm

Wow... that rates about one notch higher then the amps built into the car stereo head units...

seriously, don't waste your money unless you are satisfied with less then a $200 receiver worth of quality. otehrwise go buy a $200 denon, onkyo, pioneer or sony and get much more "sound quality"...

it all depends on your frame of reference i guess :wink:

an no I don't have a billion dollar sound system... all my equipment is at least 7 years old. My system includes separates: AV560 Marantz DTS/DD (AC3) preamp/processor and Parasound 1205a (140wpc/5chan) amp cost me less then $2k total, shipping and tax included.
Aaron

Postby jkzowski on Sun May 08, 2005 12:02 am

Aaron wrote:

seriously, don't waste your money unless you are satisfied with less then a $200 receiver worth of quality. otehrwise go buy a $200 denon, onkyo, pioneer or sony and get much more "sound quality"...

There is a post on another forum that points to the D2Audio amplifier module as being the component used. Reference the module on the D2 Audio site, and it appears to be what the Harmon Kardon receivers are using also. I thought it sounded a heck of a lot better than a $200 receiver.
jkzowski

Postby Aaron on Sun May 08, 2005 12:27 am

HK may use those modules... HK is not really a "contender" for decent equipment anymore... pains me to say that since I'm a huge JBL fan (JBK is owned by Harmon). And actually the weak point for HK is the amplification of the receivers. This is well documented in numerous reviews by professionals and users alike.

you can buy what you want but I can tell you right now, side-by-side comparison using even decent speakers (not the 5.1 combo crap people sell for $400 for all speakers with amplification) the receiver will ALWAYS blow away any amp that fits in your hand.

Now, if you are using cheap speakers... yeah, you'll never notice the difference.

Here's a good test to see if the you will notice the difference...

Does a mid-range PC speaker set ($100-$200 or so) sound good to you?

If yes, buy the PC-stereo thingy. They basically have the same amps as your PC speakers. Maybe one notch above depending on the set.

If no, pass on it and spend $800-$1200 on a decent Marantz, Denon, or Onkyo receiver and get a minimum "low-end" stereo speakers by JBL, Infinity, Boston, Polk, Paradim, etc. Should cost you around $1k for the 5.1 set. For under $2k you will have something that will absolutely kill any PC based surround setup.

I'm done with this thread... I'm only trying to help. I've been doing Home Theater as a hobby for almost 10 years now and I'm a TOTAL BARGAIN SHOPPER. I only buy the items that are the best bang for the buck. If I thought that the PC route was the best solution I'd do it. It is only adaquate for not-critical uses like whole house audio and such but, at the state it is today technically, it is very sub-par for anything else.

Media center PCs are only good for video, not audio amplification. Period.
Aaron

Postby jkzowski on Sun May 08, 2005 12:43 am

Will it replace my home theater? No. The speakers in my dining room were considerably more than $200.
Will it run my bedroom setup? I'll know as soon as it gets here but something tells me that it will work just fine.

I find the entire concept fascinating. Technology doesn't normally move backwards and I enjoy being the first on the black to have something new. I happen to think that this is a sign of great things to come.

I appreciate the help that you have offered.
jkzowski

Postby cwellsaz on Sun May 08, 2005 2:31 am

Well I believe adding the amps to the pc is the best idea aslong as you can find some desent amps that will push some good sound then for the heat make sure that it will not damage the pc. I have found a company called flyingmole that makes some kick-#*@ digital amps that need 5watts of power and deliver 100 per channel. The way I see it is we use a reciever for a switch box and an amp, but with a pc we have made it to handle all the componants that we would use the switch box for so all there is to worry about is the amp. So rigt now im working on creating my next project with a 6-7 channel amp with in a modular case almost like a server case bottom 1/2 will be the pc top 1/2 will house the amps the top shelf will be ceramic coated to help with some heat disapation but an a tray systen for easy fixing or upgrading. I believe with in the next few years 60% of all Pc's will be media centers and with that in mind everyone is about keeping the clutter down thats why we buy the lcd and plasma tech so we will have a clean look with in the enviorment now we need the pc and a great sounding amp system to show it off. It is the future!
cwellsaz

Postby GFORCE on Sun May 15, 2005 7:38 am

I use a Sherbourne Pre amp and a Bryston 7.1 Power Amp,
signal is fed via Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
GFORCE