Movies Import to xLobby from NAS device on different PC

V3 help and support questions

Movies Import to xLobby from NAS device on different PC

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:57 pm

I am having trouble importing my movies from a networked PC.

I have 217 movies burned to my USB 2.0 NAS sharing device. I am able to play movies with VLC and burn with DVDfab from/to that drive but am not able to import or play in XL. I point to the drive from XL and it appears that XL see's the directory and runs its course finding the 217 movie folders I have stored there but nothing gets imported. Hmmm?? Any idears???
sharp_1

Re: Movies Import to xLobby from NAS device on different PC

Postby PhilB on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Can you import a movie that is stored locally on the server? That might give you a clue....
PhilB

Postby lpg on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:22 am

I know this may be too simple but are your metamask statements setup to pick up the information on the nas dir struct?
lpg

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Now I'm alittle upset. I went to my host machine to set up xLobby on it, loaded v3 and tried to import my 217 movies....then a big monster somehow deleted all the movies I was trying to import from the local drive, which is a 1TB secondary internal hard drive.

Anyone know how to undelete my 217 movies without having to save them to another drive???

I have a software called undelete which I thought would work but it seems to only be undeleting one movie folder at a time, ugh!!

Thanks for any help!!
sharp_1

Postby lpg on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:51 pm

sharp_1 wrote:Now I'm alittle upset. I went to my host machine to set up xLobby on it, loaded v3 and tried to import my 217 movies....then a big monster somehow deleted all the movies I was trying to import from the local drive, which is a 1TB secondary internal hard drive.

Anyone know how to undelete my 217 movies without having to save them to another drive???

I have a software called undelete which I thought would work but it seems to only be undeleting one movie folder at a time, ugh!!

Thanks for any help!!

I usually go to cnet.com and download the latest tool for the job.
lpg

Postby sharp_1 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:06 pm

http://undelete-plus.com/ seems to be doing what I need.

I wonder why my movies were deleted by xLobby??? I guess I wont be trying to load all my movies to it until I get some feedback from Wes or Steven.
sharp_1

Postby wesblack on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:19 am

Are you using the latest V3 build. Also are you using the default skin. This is strange because the only method for deleting something is a single movie folder and it prompts you for Are you sure you want to delete this movie (Y/N).

Please explain the import process and what was happening at the time you think the complete movie folders were all deleted.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby sharp_1 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:53 pm

wesblack wrote:Are you using the latest V3 build. Also are you using the default skin. This is strange because the only method for deleting something is a single movie folder and it prompts you for Are you sure you want to delete this movie (Y/N).

Please explain the import process and what was happening at the time you think the complete movie folders were all deleted.

Wes Black \ Calrad

Hi Wes, I am using the latest V3 build with the default skin.

Here is what I did:

1) Set the NAS device up as my default movie location. XL ran through the import process and I saw 217 movies found then after the covers were sorted but nothing showed up on my movie screens or databases (movies, family movies).

2) Tried to manually import from setup module and wasn't able to get anything to show up.

3) Then I thought to myself, self, why don't I try burning a DVD to my NAS drive using xLobby. I configured DVDfab to work with XL and pressed copy and entered the full name of the movie and OK to copy. Well I think that's what did it, I went to my movies drive and poof all gone!!

4) I since been using a software called undelete plus which has been running all weekend so far to bring back those deleted files and folders.

I believe that's all.

Thanks for the help!!!
sharp_1

Postby lar282 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:44 am

sharp_1 wrote:3) Then I thought to myself, self, why don't I try burning a DVD to my NAS drive using xLobby. I configured DVDfab to work with XL and pressed copy and entered the full name of the movie and OK to copy. Well I think that's what did it, I went to my movies drive and poof all gone!!

I believe that's all.

Thanks for the help!!!

Hmmm. Burn a dvd through the Fab plugin? Can u do that? thought it was ripping only?

I have a longshot..This is ONLY a GUESS since I cant see the code..The dvdfab plugin MOVES the temp movie folder when ripping is done to the directory u state in dvdfab setup under XL. MAYBE this was wrongly setup and XL moved your entire movie directory to binary space!!!!

//Lasse
lar282

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Lasse. I bet your right...I'll have to post my setup config in DVDfab and XL when I get back to XL movie importing. I spent almost a week restoring the drive....I think I was able to get everything recovered thank God.

I'm alittle gun shy right now.
sharp_1

Postby sharp_1 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:30 pm

I have everything restored back to original regarding one of my movie drives. That was a close one!!

Now I am having problems bringing my movies in from my external drives. When setting up the movies database I am pointing to my movie drive on my networked drive ie: \\Family-pc\media4. I am able to see the drive and set it in xLobby but when the movies are imported nothing is showing up on my movie screen. (While running the import I am able to see the movie files/folders found)

Any idears? Thanks!!
sharp_1

Postby lpg on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Man I hate when that happens.

Did you reboot everything?
Are your metamasks set up right?
Did the directory structure change at all?
When youi added the drive to the import directories did you add it at the right level?
lpg

Postby lpg on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:09 pm

One last thing:

Did you delete the movie database before you reimported?
lpg

Postby sharp_1 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm

lpg wrote:Man I hate when that happens.

Did you reboot everything?
Are your metamasks set up right?
Did the directory structure change at all?
When youi added the drive to the import directories did you add it at the right level?

Yes, I rebooted several times, not sure how my directory needs to be changed (it worked before this way), I deleted the movie db and re-improted and nothing see my screentoaster video: http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/stU0 ... paSVhaXVxd
sharp_1

Postby lpg on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:48 pm

That was just a list of default things I usually run through. In Version two I always had to exit xlobby after I deleted the database inorder to get a clean import. Beyond this I would post the vid in bugs and see if Wes or Steven have any ideas.
lpg

Next