XVis : a visualization plugin www

Xlobby plugin development

Postby milanp on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:52 am

When will you upload the corrected version ?
milanp

Postby badubo on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:55 am

it's uploaded
badubo

Postby milanp on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Great.
It is OK now.
milanp

Postby GFORCE on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:08 am

Very Nice Plugin, but i have a Spectrum Display on the front of my Actual HTPC
GFORCE

Postby badubo on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:29 am

Very Nice Plugin, but i have a Spectrum Display on the front of my Actual HTPC

I have created a special FFT output of the spectrum for displaying it with a plugin I'm writting for LCD/VFD (XLcd).
So, you will be able soon to display spectrum and all XLobby information on your VFD :wink:
badubo

Postby rembetis on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:57 pm

Can't seem to get this to work. I have the spectrum placed on the correct screen, ID is labelled correctly, selected Stereo Mixer in my soundcard set up (it's a Chaintech AV-710). I'm playing with Foobar2000, using waveout via my optical output. When I hit a button with the "Start Spectrum" event, I just get a blank black box. If I rollover the black box, I see an hourglass, as if it's trying to do something, but I see no spectrum.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: The only way I have found to get the spectrum working is to hit the "Start Spectrum" button *before* I start playing any music. Then it works fine, but if I exit that screen and then later come back to it, the box is blank/black again.
rembetis

Postby badubo on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:29 pm

this plugin relies on the possibility to record the output of the soundcard (using the BASS library).
It is possible that some sound card do not allow this method.
badubo

Postby rembetis on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:19 pm

OK, maybe that's it. It just seems strange that it will work if I start the Spectrum first, then start the music. So the plugin must be receiving the signal somehow...
rembetis

Postby badubo on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

it's not "strange" :
probably that bass can open the device if it is not used by another process. And that once Foobar2000 is working, it owns an exclusive access to the device (and then that bass can no more open it).
Did you try with another player? (you can start xlobby, and use a player from outside, just for a test)
badubo

Postby dalanik on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:53 am

Works nicely on all 3 PCs I have XLobby on (1 HTPC and 2 test machines, one with .net 1.1. and two with .net 2).

I sometimes get XLobby crashes when switching a lot from Spectrum to Visual, though.

Just one suggestion: Would it be possible to have a database of .svp files, and select the visualisation by name?

i.e.

command->XVis->Visual_Open->"LightSpectrum.svp"
or
command->XVis->Visual_Open->%vis>parameter%

or similar?

D.
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:04 am

I keep getting errors (crashes) especially when I switch on/off xVis from spectrum to visual... It seems to me it helps to include wait between switching one off and other on, but not all the time...

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\XLobby\plugins\XVis\vis\plugins\xstatscfg.xml'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials)
at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrlDelegate(Object xmlResolver)
at System.Threading.CompressedStack.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.CompressedStack.Run(CompressedStack compressedStack, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrl()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at xstats.Stats.ReadFile()
at xstats.Stats.GetVariable(String name)
at xlobby2.Plugins.GetValue(String input)
at xlobby2.PicButton.drawImage(Graphics g, Control c)
at xlobby2.GdiDraw.DrawButton(PicButton ptemp, Graphics g, Control control)
at xlobby2.GdiDraw.DrawFormButtons(Graphics g, ArrayList buttons, Control control)
at xlobby2.GdiForm.DrawToGraphics(Graphics g)
at xlobby2.GdiForm.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:00 pm

I found out that the way around this is to include a small wait (250 ms will do) between switching off/on one or the other (most of the time)

But still strange things are happening...

I have this script in XScript, very simple script, which basicaly switches screens in a do-while loop until a key is pressed.

I included several now playing screens, webcams, news, MPC with XMovewindow playing video, pictures, etc. I left it overnight and in the morning it still worked (cycled) through screens. So the script and XLobby work fine.

I added couple of XVis screens into the loop, and tested on 3 PCs, left for a couple of hours, and all 3 crashed...

I tried to do it 2 ways:

* turn both visual and spectrum ON
* display screens in a loop
* on exit turn both visual and spectrum OFF

and

* visual and specturm off
* cycle screens
* on each screen open, it starts visual or spectrum
* when each screen exits, stops visual or spectrum

and both ways crash XLobby. It just closes XLobby without ANY error message, winamp sometimes continues playing...

I suspect this is a problem in XVis, maybe a memory leak or something...

Do you have any ideas?

Thanx,

Dalibor
dalanik

Postby rembetis on Thu May 18, 2006 1:19 pm

Are people still using this plugin successfully with the latest Xlobby build? Xlobby is locking up when I try to open the configuration screen (Setup > Plugins > Xvis > Configure).
rembetis

Postby hvs69 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:19 am

Dalanik,

Can you share your script with us about rotating various screens.

Thanks.
hvs69

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Wow really nice plugin here...

But there is unfortunately one shortcoming, which is real showstopper for me.

Plugin works only in monitor 0, if u r runiing xlobby on other monitor, spectrum analyzer and visualization will still appear on monitor 0. It doesnt matter if u specifie monitor number or coordinates for extended desktop on xlobby setup.

Also Rembetis, i experienced similar but opposite behavior, which u reported. When i start music visualization/spectrum will disappear... starting them wont bring them back... but i figured out little workaround for this:

- play
- goto screen (same screen)
- start visualization
- start spectrum analyzer

so changing screen (even to same one) makes visualization/analyzer startable again... funny :) This way u experience short flash, but is better than having them disappearing.

And last warning, just so that anybody else wont spend as much time to setting this up as i did: Take a note of case of name of your screen, i had screen called FMradio.xml and xlobby (being case insensitive) show it as fmradio, now Xvis (case sensitive) wouldnt load if i used fmradio as screen... Ok this didnt take too long to realise cause it loaded on other screen... but that was just the start. I changed the filename of screen to fmradio, but still now show. Turned out that exact name of screen is not determined by filename, but the name it is called for... cause my goto screen still had FMradio it meant that case insensitive Xlobby could goto fmradio screen, but case sensitive XVis still couldnt load its content.
P3rv3rt B3ar

PreviousNext