Multizone don't work

Help each other out

Multizone don't work

Postby MarcR on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:29 pm

hello,
sorry for my f... english - bad german boy with small english knowledges.. :lol:
My xlobby doesn't work in multizone - mode.
I want play the same song to the same time from my pc on my tablet
i start the xnet server on the pc and on the tablet
In the List "Who's on the network" I see only one computer - respectively the local.
If I pressed the button "Connect" (Connect to xnet Server) i can also see the second pc on the first pc in the "Who's on the network" - list. But the I can't close the dialog box - xlobby crash..
Can you help me to resolved this problem?
Can I save the multizone-connection for other sessions?

Thank you very much.
Marc
MarcR

Re: Multizone don't work

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:30 am

What version of XLobby are you using? Steven indicated in his latest pre-release that xnet may be buggy. Which machine is crashing, the server (first pc) or the tablet? I take it that the tablet is running a full install of xlobby, hence it is then called a "fat" client?

Now what you could do is on the first pc, from here after called the server, under "Start XNET Server" enter the IP address of the server machine (if not already there by default). Check off "Always start as a server". Close and restart that xlobby. Once restarted, start the xlobby version on the tablet (or client). In its Xnet settings, under "Connect To XNET Server IP or Name" enter the IP address of the server. Check off "Always connect at startup". Close and restart that xlobby version. Now during the startup sequence on the client, at one point it should say something along the lines "Connecting to Server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" where the "X"'s are the IP address of your server machine.

I also share my media directories on the server, and in the Basic tab of the client setup, I enter the network share path to the media content (ex. Music Path - "\\Music-server\Music" minus the quotes). That way cover art can be loaded, and music can be streamed across the LAN.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby MarcR on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:36 am

Hello Marbles_00,
I have installed the latest (full) version of xlobby on the tablet and the pc.
Can I install on the tablet a thin client? Give it there another version of xlobby?
In the future I want use two or more embedded PC's for multiroom and one server (same oder different music in all rooms)

My music-libarys are saved on netowork storage QNAP Turbo Station TS-101
(wow, very hot!! see qnap.com..)

I try to apply your tipps, thank you for the first answer.

Marc
MarcR

Postby MarcR on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:38 pm

Hello,
the client (tablet) shows the playlist from servr now and i can see on the tablet the song which is playing on the server - but I can't hear anything over the tablet-loudspeaker.
Can I only control the server with the tablet an don't hear anything over this or is there any mistake??

Marc
MarcR

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:01 am

If you are using the tablet as a "fat" client, which it sounds like you are, then the client player is responsible for audio playback. If your player is configured properly within the fat client xlobby, you should be able to hear the music playback on the individual player as it is streamed across the LAN from the server. Personally, I have never used the internal player to the new xlobby versions, so I don't know how well that is integrated. I use winamp, which on the fat client has to be configured, just like configuring a standalone xlobby version.

Sorry I missed your questions from before.

Can I install on the tablet a thin client? Give it there another version of xlobby?

A thin client does not use any install of xlobby. It uses the client software found on the server xlobby. You would copy the xlobby2sd.exe program and server.txt over to your tablet. Then you have to set up the server.txt file to the IP address of your server. All database run off the server. All music is run off the server. The only thing a thin client does is control the server thats it. This means that your server would require the soundcards for each zone and a player dedicated to each soundcard output.

A fat client is the ability to run a full version of xlobby. All databases are copied from the server on startup (of the fat client). All music/video/pictures...whatever stays on the server and is streamed over to the client. What this means is that each client will require their own soundcard and player dedicated to drive that clients output...and xlobby on that client to control the player. To that individual client, it would be like your just operating winamp. To the server, or other clients, this fat client would be seen as a zone, and can be controlled from any other client, or from the server itself.

I hope this helps.
Marbles_00