out of the box

Speak your mind

out of the box

Postby Arthur on Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:45 pm

Ok, I'm very happy. Sometime ago I started a discussion on help for new users on the mainpage and wow, there it is now!!

So now I want to take it one step further. Could we make an XLobby version which one would download and then it would be extracted to a folder or a real installer and BAM, everything would work!

So it would contain:
- images for weather
- a number of skins to choose from (why not, pack it with 5 skins, we could do a poll on which skins should be packed. It would give the new user a good start. For usres low on bandwidth a minimum version could be available)
- Maximum support for all kinds of hardware (This might be very very tricky. But in my head Xlobby would detect a TV tuner and insyall an adapetr)
- It would let you choose between winamp (especially if it is already installed) and that other program which people use.
- It would install somekind of video viewing proigram (unless one chooses not to have it installed)

I know it might be hard to incorporate 3rd party program's into a xlobby distribution but I also know the french team have already made somthing like this (an installer).
Arthur

Postby lar282 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:06 am

Good idea. The installer bit is already taken care of..I created one for Steven and uploaded it to him, but I never got confirmation from him to publishe it! . I wanted to let experience users try it out and see what needed to be changed for nwebies. If steven agrees to use it I can just add more skins to it.

//Lasse
lar282

Postby Arthur on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:41 pm

What was covered by your installer?
Arthur