Will PayXL and freeXlobby talk same language?

Speak your mind

Will PayXL and freeXlobby talk same language?

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:22 pm

Can these two versions co-exist on same Xnet? can they work together? Is there guarantee they continue to work together?

This question i think is utmost importance not only for me but many others here... I can imagine investing for one copy... but i believe i cant most definetly purchase license to all needed hosts. even if i could how on earth does calrad expects me to know the amount of license i will need up front (as wes stated licenses might be available without combining to hardware/services only for limited time)... what if i decide to grow my setup with another host after the deadline... :shock:

Unless additional "spawned" copies are very reasonably priced or theres guarantee itll talk with freeware version... im really seeing bit hardtime to buy even one copy, incase i will, itll be just out of respect for Stevens awesome vision and hardwork, but wont be very practical in my setup.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: Will PayXL and freeXlobby talk same language?

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:38 am

Can these two versions co-exist on same Xnet? can they work together? Is there guarantee they continue to work together?

Gees, I was thinking that very thought too this morning (over a hot cup of java), but decided against asking and stirring the pot yet again. I'm glad that I'm not only the one thinking that as well.
Marbles_00

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:03 am

anyone tried a "free" thick client connecting to latest pre-release? Might be interesting :wink:
cmhardwick

Postby defrag on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:39 am

cmhardwick wrote:anyone tried a "free" thick client connecting to latest pre-release? Might be interesting :wink:

Well it certainly works the other way round!!!
defrag

Postby smarty on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:55 pm

I think I understand this concern. However, what I am hoping to avoid/minimize is a "cobbeled" system where the new must speak to the old (and vice versa) via some patch/workaround.

I highly doubt there can ever be a guarantee that the two system will remain fully compatible (not sure they are presently even).

I just hope the pricing and licensing is such that a single household can afford 2-4 touchscreens and a server.

Just my 2 cents.
smarty

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:22 pm

smarty wrote:I highly doubt there can ever be a guarantee that the two system will remain fully compatible (not sure they are presently even).

Doubt all u want... i can throw at u dozens of real-life examples of well planned protocols, which have managed to interact between highly varied platforms for deceits now and have life expectancy for years to come, for starters: IP, UDP, TCP, HTTP, and ofcourse PervTalk 8) sure they have problems, but billions of people still use (most of :D ) them everyday.

EDIT:
smarty wrote:However, what I am hoping to avoid/minimize is a "cobbeled" system where the new must speak to the old (and vice versa) via some patch/workaround.

That is exactly why i asked this, hoping Steven would have taken care of issue with sound planning of Xnet protocol (knowing his works, im pretty sure he did), cause im just lazy to write system integrating Xnet interpreting bridge myself ;)
P3rv3rt B3ar