Question about setting up several machines

Speak your mind

Question about setting up several machines

Postby str1der on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:55 pm

I'm working on getting everything set up on one of my machines. I will want the same setup on a couple others. Is there a way to take all settings and databases and move them to the new machine so that everything is exactly the same? Thanks.
str1der

Postby dalanik on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:57 pm

just copy whole XLobby folder...

D.
dalanik

Postby str1der on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:58 pm

dalanik wrote:just copy whole XLobby folder...

D.

Thanks. Will give it a try.
str1der

Postby str1der on Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:46 am

dalanik wrote:just copy whole XLobby folder...

D.

DO you need to copy the cache directory and all of it's contents? The reason I ask is the cache directory is over 200 MB
str1der

Postby dalanik on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:28 am

You should if you use the same databases (i.e. either a copy that is on exactly the same location on other PC, or mapped on a server using UNC paths i.e. \\PC01\db\). It contains thumbnails of images in databases... if you want to use different databases, you don't need to copy.
dalanik

Postby tswhite70 on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:24 pm

No, you don't need to copy the Cache folder. I exclude it myself so that my backups don't take up as much room. Xlobby will recreate the cache folder and it's contents on startup.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby scottw on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:05 pm

tswhite70 wrote:No, you don't need to copy the Cache folder. I exclude it myself so that my backups don't take up as much room. Xlobby will recreate the cache folder and it's contents on startup.

good luck,
tsw

+1, I agree
scottw

Postby str1der on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:50 pm

tswhite70 wrote:No, you don't need to copy the Cache folder. I exclude it myself so that my backups don't take up as much room. Xlobby will recreate the cache folder and it's contents on startup.

good luck,
tsw

Thanks. That's what I thought. I figured it would just be a little slow on the second workstation until it built it's cache. This definetly helps because as I'm building my library I can make frequent copies to my kid's setups.
str1der

Postby str1der on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:03 pm

Something else I just thought of. When I look in the movies database it appears the coverart entry is point to the image directory in DVD Profiler. Does this mean that xlobby doesn't put the coverart in it's database. If this is the case does that mean I need to install DVD Profiler onto all of my machines so that the coverart is available to xlobby?
str1der

Postby rhinoman on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:05 pm

No xlobby will pick up a jpeg in the movies folder. No DVD profiler needed.

You also need to explore xnet, a forum search will throw up loads of info on how to set it up but it means that you only have to update one database on the server and the other machines get there database's from the server machine.
rhinoman

Postby str1der on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:29 am

rhinoman wrote:No xlobby will pick up a jpeg in the movies folder. No DVD profiler needed.

You also need to explore xnet, a forum search will throw up loads of info on how to set it up but it means that you only have to update one database on the server and the other machines get there database's from the server machine.

Ok I'll look it up. There is no coverart in the movies folder. I tried copying the xlobby directory to the new machine but like I said the coverart points to c:\program files\.....\dvd profiler\images.
str1der

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:28 am

coverart points to c:\program files\.....\dvd profiler\images

That is one problem. You've defined distinct locations, so every machine has to have that location. Do what rhino states, though there will be a little bit of work on your behave. Move all the images to their defined movie directory. Then network share the main directory in which the movies reside, then import it. Set that machine as a XNET server then restart Xlobby. Your other machines will then be classed as "Fat" clients...meaning each one will have their own Xlobby. In each setup of the clients concerning XNET, define the IP of the server, restart XLobby. Now it's been a while since the last time I tried connecting a fat client, but you may also have to define the location of each shared directory on the server, but you shouldn't have to import.

If all works right, the next time you restart the fat client machine, all databases are copied over from the server to the client. If you define UPC (?) locations as opposed to actual drive locations, then you should be able to play all your music/movies/pictures etc. from the client machine while all the files reside on your server.

Hope that helps.
Marbles_00

Postby rhinoman on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:03 am

As marbles almost said.... :)

Define UNC paths for your music and movie databases

\\server\music

\\server\movies1
\\server\movies2 etc

Get it all working and point the xnet fat client at the server, each time it connects it gets the latest version of the database so no paths need to be defined on the clients and no database maintained.
rhinoman

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:10 am

Thanks John,

It's been a long while since last visiting Fat clients...I'll admit, I'm a little rusty.
Marbles_00

Postby str1der on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:33 pm

Sounds interesting and I did some reading on it. The only issue I have is I'm not using a HTPC on my main TV. These are only running in my kid's rooms and I don't want to have to keep my main PC up and running with this as a server.
str1der