How about 'persistent' variables

Got an idea, post it here

How about 'persistent' variables

Postby rbziggy on Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:45 pm

It would be really useful to have variables whose values persisted across shutdown / startups. I'm thinking these could be held in an initiation file in the same way that the thin client uses.

For example a command "Save Hard Variable" would work in the same way as "Save Variable" does now but also write the variable name and value to the a config file. When Xlobby starts up it would read this and assign the value to the internal value.

Why is this useful. Well at present I use a variable to hold an 'alarm time' which is written by Xevent to its .ini file but this variable is also used to display the current alarm time on screen. Through a shutdown / restart (even just for the ppc client) this variable is lost for display purposes, even though the alarm still works nicely.

Unless I've missed something of course in the existing feature set!

I'm sure others could think of other uses!

Thanks
rbziggy

Postby m_ski on Tue May 24, 2005 12:01 pm

What about if you create a new xml database just with one item in it and use the 'variable set' command to set your 'alarm time' variable on startup and then to save this variable on shutdown? This way it would be saved to a database and remain persistent across reboots.
m_ski