How many thin clients at once?

Speak your mind

How many thin clients at once?

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Just curious...I haven't done this yet, but wondering if others have:

How many thin clients have people connect to a Xlobby server at once, and still have everything run reliably? PPC or actual systems, doesn't matter...or does it? I'm just trying to get an idea of limitations, as I'm considering something for my music-server which I will have independent screens of control for individual zones. This could muster up to 7 to 8 clients connected to the server at once (each zone could be connected with their own individual screen, them my master PPC which has full control of the system).

Am I heading towards a brick wall?
Marbles_00

Re: How many thin clients at once?

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:13 pm

Wow! now that sounds like an idea!!!

I would imagine its doable... ofcourse i have not tried anything like that. But if u do them as thin client is there a way to set "native zone" for each client since theyre essentially just fetching snapshots of main server skin?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:16 pm

if u do them as thin client is there a way to set "native zone"

Yep, in each client server.txt file you can define the screen to open too. I just don't know what will happen if all were open at the same time. In true reality, I can't see that happening. Maybe 3 to 4 at a time?

I was thinking of creating screens which show source select for that zone, album select, playlist, then share external CD player and tuner controls. Way I see it, only someone like me will want to know what is going on in all the zones. Someone like my kid's and wife will only be concerned with the zone they are standing in. I'm hoping to simpify everything to as few as screens as possible. Right now, with everything controlled via PPC, there are alot of screens to thumb through...which is one reason why my wife isn't 100% fond of using the system.
Marbles_00

Postby Bill Lott on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:07 am

I have 3 running with no problems... Using remote desktop and Server 2003
Bill Lott

Postby Adam D on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:45 pm

When you talk about thin clients, Is it possible to have a server that is running xlobby and a thinclient such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Compaq-T5300-Thin ... 240%3A1318 somehow connected over the network to display a GUI and able to select streams to play from the server on whatever it is connected to?

Or am i getting that wrong?

Adam D

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:01 pm

It may very well work, as it states the following: comes with Windows CE .NET version 4

According to Stephen's Client Server post here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3053 he states the following:
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE .NET COMPACT FRAMEWORK INSTALLED ON YOUR Pocket PC
<p></p>.net compact framework <br>
<a class='urllink' href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=359ea6da-fc5d-41cc-ac04-7bb50a134556&displaylang=en'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=359ea6da-fc5d-41cc-ac04-7bb50a134556&amp;displaylang=en</a>

I know they are slightly different. Do a search, and see what comes up (I've been searching a little myself)
Marbles_00