Two DVD Players

Help each other out

Two DVD Players

Postby arkania on Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:58 pm

I'm sure this can now be done in Xlobby, but I wonder if someone can enlighten me.

I have two projectors in my theatre, both of which run at different resolutions/colour settings. I would like to create (duplicate) the main movie screen in Xlobby and make one for my other projector. When I launch a movie from that screen, I want it to launch a different dvd player.

Is that possible? Is this where the global exe command comes in? Any input would be appreciated guys!

Thanks.

Gary.
arkania

Postby jowaldo on Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:57 pm

depending on what dvd player software you are using, couldn't you just configure that to play in the separate screen?

How do you have both projectors hooked up? A dual head card in one pc? If so, you could have one cheap computer running the client on one projector, and the other running the xlobby server and dvds on the other...
jowaldo

Postby arkania on Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:58 am

I have a CRT and DLP projector, both of which project onto the same screen. I do have a dual head card, but the DLP/CRT is connected to one output (with passthrough from the DLP to the CRT) and the second is attached to an LCD screen which displays Xlobby.

The issue I have is that each projector needs it's own configured dvd player so I'd like to have two movie viewers in xlobby, each configured for the DLP or CRT projector.

Does that make sense? :)

I mainly use the DLP for watching TV, and the CRT for movies but sometimes I like to use the DLP for movies as well.
arkania

Postby noviceboy on Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:04 am

Firstly,reduce your problem. Get rid of one of your projectors you have too many.( my address is .... )

There is two basic ways that I see to solve your problem. Both will work.

1) Make a copy of the movies skin, say myothermovies. For each screen associated wth what I would call a DVD database/catagory ( in DB file there is a metatag type=movie)
you can specify individual launch commands when you want to play any item. The copy of the screen needs to change the category name to myothermoviescat and associate your movies database with this category.

Now have a global.exe associated with this screen OR, in a40exp5 and above, you can specify your own event to to execute any desired exe and pass it the name of the file to play as a parameter using the syntax that is given in exp5,but replacing movies category with your new category, like this %myothermoviescat>parameter%. This is now your new command to associate with a PLAY event. Complex to read, simple to do.

2) Another general trick is to have a programme sit between xlobby and the DVD player and depeding on passed parameters take different actions, i,e called any DVD programme with specific parameters. Instead of calling DVD player direct you call the "middleman"- typical integration trick in computing. This in turns does some processing/calls other programmes to complete the job. AKA simple mans "plugin "

I use this technique to have a single screen/database with different AVI types. Depending on the file extension I can call up up any Player or Whatever at will.

Such "middleman" programme to do exactly this can by found at ( http://www.myhtpc.net) called myOMP or MySP or write your own. They work standalone, there also allow you to see what xlobby sends out on the calling command line for debugging purposes.

Actually HTPC front ends should be able to do this themsleves,but that is another thing for the to do lists.
noviceboy

Postby Twit on Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:15 pm

noviceboy,

I have been trying myMSP3 as a middleman with xlobby but no luck as yet.

Do you have a 'middleman' working and if so how??

Any help would be appreciated.

Later
Simon
Twit

Postby noviceboy on Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:10 pm

Use myOMP. I have not yet tried mySP3 ( Winner of World's worst description of how to set up award )
noviceboy

Postby arkania on Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:03 am

Thanks for the info, noviceboy, I appreciate it. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Cheers!
arkania

Postby EnemyWithin on Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:28 am

Sorry for the poor documentation on myMSP, but I hate writing documentation and the flexibility of myMSP is very hard to document. I decided to make the myHTPC forum post a good "example" repository to help people set it up. If you would like help setting it up with xlobby, just let me know. First you will have to teach me how to setup xlobby! :) My sig has a link to the myMSP thread for some good examples on using it.
EnemyWithin

Postby Cooch on Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:41 pm

I want to put in a plug for myMSP and EW here. myMSP is way better, easier to setup and better supported than myOMP. As EW said send him an email and he will help you out.
Cooch