How do you have multizone set up?

Speak your mind

How do you have multizone set up?

Postby jowaldo on Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:40 pm

I'm getting ready to dive into multizone audio finally, and I'm curious how everyone here distributes the audio around their house with xlobby.

I know most have a single audio server with multiple sound cards, but how is everyone getting the signal from one room to another?

I have an idea how to do it for my situation, but I'd like to see if I can get any new good ideas from anyone here :)
jowaldo

Postby rhinoman on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:08 am

Most of mine is local amps to the xlobby server and then long speaker cables although I have 1 zone which has a long phono to a local amp and speakers, both seem to work just fine. PDA does most of the control.
rhinoman

Postby alaricljs on Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:49 pm

I'm about to start setting up the distro as well. Since fidelity is not really an issue in the additional zones I'm using self-powered PC speakers in the kitchen and basement. One set Altec Lansing 2.1 and one set Boston Acoustics 2.1

My intention is to use STP (shielded twisted pair) with standard 1/8" jacks at the ends. I don't yet have the STP but should you go with a "custom" wired solution here's some info from an electrical engineer with amp building experience:

1: Use shielded cable,
2: there IS twisted pair specifically for line level transmission, but ethernet STP can do the job be sure to put a channel and its ground on the same pair
3: ground the shield seperately from the audio grounds
4: ground the shield AT ONE END! (make sure you can easily switch the grounding to either end) with PC speakers you want the ground on the PC chassis

Think that covers it. If I can make any progress on my own setup, I'll post it here. My 1yr old makes things.... slow ;)
alaricljs

Postby jowaldo on Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:35 pm

alaricljs wrote:My intention is to use STP (shielded twisted pair) with standard 1/8" jacks at the ends. I don't yet have the STP but should you go with a "custom" wired solution here's some info from an electrical engineer with amp building experience:

Thanks for the info.. that sounds like a good inexpensive, unobtrusive way of doing it. I think I understand what you mean about how to make the cables, but do you know any sites that may explain it more, and possibly with pictures or diagrams? ;)
jowaldo

Postby alaricljs on Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:47 pm

In looking for pictures I found this: site that has 25' finished cables for $4 plus decent shipping ($3.85 USPS to my door)

Not a shielded cable, but it may be good enough for your needs.

Now here's a site with a proper STP audio cable: here

My way would be: red/black on right channel (black being ground) green/white on left channel (white being ground) and that silver line I would run an extension and screw it to the PC chassis on one end, the other end I'd tie down *ungrounded* (not connected to anything) I could then test grounding it at the other end (never both ends at the same time, near guarantee of a ground-loop hum)
alaricljs

Postby alaricljs on Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:57 pm

Well, in the past someone was selling 100' lengths of the Gepco 6600 for $9. Right now all I see are 500' lengths. Ugh!

Hmmm, 50' male-female for $6+sh
alaricljs

Postby alaricljs on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:12 pm

Want to go nuts and build balancers ?
Here's how
alaricljs