100% CPU Utilization with Xlobby just being open

Speak your mind

100% CPU Utilization with Xlobby just being open

Postby trvtec on Sun May 28, 2006 2:40 am

Hey guys, I've got a small problem. I was experiencing a lot of video crashes in Zoom Player with movies just stopping in the middle or crashing out with a graphedt.exe error message. As I investigated, I found that I was getting 100% CPU utilization in Task Manager whenever Xlobby is open for an extended period of time. Xlobby is pegging Task Manager at 99% utilization when I look at it in the proceses tab.

So far, I've reloaded the .Net Framework v2 and I've gone through my xlobby2prerelease1 folder looking for anything that could be causing the error. I have searched on here but the only thing I can find is the scrolling text issue and when I was going through my skin (I'm just modifying the default skin) I only found that scrolling was turned on for my DVD category. I turned that off but the issue persists. So far I've seen this behavior on the 4/4/06 Xlobby2.exe as well as the latest screentest 5/18/06 build. I am going to go back to the default to see if it happens there also. I'm pretty perplexed but I figured I could ask here before I decide to start from scratch and rebuild the HTPC from the ground up. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Todd.
trvtec

Postby trvtec on Sun May 28, 2006 1:43 pm

In case anyone wonders, I also switched to FooBar but that failed to resolve the problem. I have not been able to nail down the exact reasons it's happening - for instance yesterday it shot up to 100% right after I opened XLobby. Then another time it was fine for an hour so I went to bed, but by the time I had checked it in the morning, it was just sitting at 100% but absolutely nothing was going on, Xlobby was literally just open.

Thanks again for any advice anyone can come up with. Todd.
trvtec

Postby samgreco on Mon May 29, 2006 3:42 am

Try removing all of the plugins, and then, if it works well without, put them back one at a time until the CPU usage comes back up.
samgreco

Postby trvtec on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:47 am

I found it. Problem is, it was two things - a combination of my USB-UIRT plugin (this is what's causing 100% CPU with Xlobby just sitting there) and apparently my RAM was running a little too aggressively. I brought it down to 200 FSB from 220 and haven't had a problem, without a noticeable decrease in performance so I'm just going to leave it.

Any ideas on the UIRT plugin? Anyone else see a similar situation? Thanks for the suggestion, it got me pointed in the right direction, that's for sure!

Todd.
trvtec