Navigation button on remote won't work for overlay

Help each other out

Navigation button on remote won't work for overlay

Postby slaman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 am

I have been banging my head on this for quite some time now...

When I click on the music category object and launch the albumtracks overlay, my remote's navigation doesn't want to work.

I have to jiggle my mouse (which works fine) for the remote's navigation buttons to catch... All other buttons, including close, work fine on the overlay... it's just the navigation buttons.

I have the default set to a button, and I don't have any unknown "Navigable" objects on the overlay that may be catching the remote.

Any suggestions as to what I should look for?

I used to have this same problem when I FIRST opened XLobby - I'd have to jiggle the mouse around for the remote's navigation to catch... the problem seemingly disappeared on its own.
slaman

Re: Navigation button on remote won't work for overlay

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:19 am

dont use the standard xlobby stuff for remote control

have a play with xRemote, its a plugin which lets you set screen specif events to remote keypresses....

you dont have to use girder (but at first glance it sounds like you do).

its a very useful plugin.

EDIT*

i see that you are already using it so i guess this post wasent much use :)
S Pittaway

Postby dalanik on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:55 am

Make sure you have the DEFAULT button on the overlay. For me it works fine...
dalanik

Postby slaman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:05 pm

S Pittaway wrote:dont use the standard xlobby stuff for remote control

have a play with xRemote, its a plugin which lets you set screen specif events to remote keypresses....

you dont have to use girder (but at first glance it sounds like you do).

its a very useful plugin.

EDIT*

i see that you are already using it so i guess this post wasent much use :)

Actually, I'm not using Girder! I was going to take a stab at the XRemote plugin viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3244 but have a few issues with it...

I'm assuming it will solve my navigation issues... but for some reason, I don't think it will - it seems to be "stuck" on a non-navigable button on the overlay.
slaman

Postby slaman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:05 pm

dalanik wrote:Make sure you have the DEFAULT button on the overlay. For me it works fine...

I just went through every single object on the screen, and only four are navigable - one of which is set to Default.

I had a problem with another screen, and what seemed to solve it was to add another State to the only button on the screen... for some reason, it's not working this time around.
slaman

Postby bmblank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:23 pm

I'm just trying to wrap my head around your problem, but I've got a couple suggestions.

When you use your keyboard to do the navigating, does that work?
If it does, then it'd probably be an issue with the remote/events.
If it doesn't, then it's probably the skin. Make sure that each button has navigations appointed to it. Go into the skin editor, navigation tab, select a button and then hit one of the 4 up/down/left/right buttons in the navigation tab. It should outline the button that would be next if you performed the navigation you selected.
I apologize if you already know this.
bmblank

Postby slaman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:23 pm

bmblank wrote:I'm just trying to wrap my head around your problem, but I've got a couple suggestions.

When you use your keyboard to do the navigating, does that work?
If it does, then it'd probably be an issue with the remote/events.
If it doesn't, then it's probably the skin. Make sure that each button has navigations appointed to it. Go into the skin editor, navigation tab, select a button and then hit one of the 4 up/down/left/right buttons in the navigation tab. It should outline the button that would be next if you performed the navigation you selected.
I apologize if you already know this.

So I did more testing, and have not made any progress. I used the keyboard and it doesn't work either. The only time it works is when I move the mouse onto a button... then the navigation keys on the keyboard or remote work fine.

I tested it by just creating a screen with a single button. I set it as Navigable and as Default. I even tried creating on/off states, setting one and then the other to Default. Navigation still didn't work...

I then Cloned a WORKING overlay (where navigation works fine) and the navigation still doesn't work fine...

This leads me to believe that it is in fact a skinning issue... and the problem lies with the screen that is calling the overlay. I double-checked the event, and it's just a standard "show overlay" event... Is there somewhere in the screen that maybe prevents the focus from switching to the overlay?
slaman

Postby slaman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:23 pm

I've spent countless weeks and months at this skin... and I think it's ready to upload for sharing! :)

bmblank... if I zip it up, mind taking a look at it? It's a 1920x1080 skin, meant to be controlled by a remote... Would love if you could go into Music, select an album and let me know if you can navigate using the keyboard straight away...

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at the overlay itself (overlay_albumtracks) to figure out this navigation issue... I would be forever indebted!

I'm trying to get rid of the bugs in my skin so that I can actually set it up on my (computer illiterate) sister's machine... She lives so far, so I can't be troubleshooting :o
slaman

Postby tswhite70 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 pm

Weird...
Are you calling this overlay from another overlay? If so make sure you use the "Show Overlay New Layer" command.
Try adding the Xlobby\Button Select event with the appropriate button id to your overlay open event.

That's all I got... good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby bmblank on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:22 am

I guess I could take a look at it, but I'm probably not the best person for the job. I'd have to warn you that our xlobby isn't fully stable yet (I'm still fairly green) and I'm havin troubles with both girder and the normal usbuirt plugin. Also, I barely have time to work on our own machine, with the job and all. :lol: Maybe that explains why I've been so tired lately... Gosh..

Anyways, if you really wanted to, I could take a look, I just have no idea how long it would be until I got back to you.
Another fairly simple thing to try would be to change the default button. Possibly something with the button itself is making it not like to start there.
Even though with the new screens it still doesn't work, right? So yeah, that's a head-scratcher. You're bound to get a few with something like xlobby.
I hope it gets resolved.
bmblank

Postby slaman on Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:04 am

tswhite70 wrote:Try adding the Xlobby\Button Select event with the appropriate button id to your overlay open event.

Wicked!

You resolved the issue... I wasn't even aware of this event.

Thanks a lot tsw!

(PS: Can you take a look at the Spiders thread - for some reason "sicko" returns broken results from the imdb spider)
slaman

Postby slaman on Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:05 am

bmblank wrote:I guess I could take a look at it, but I'm probably not the best person for the job. I'd have to warn you that our xlobby isn't fully stable yet (I'm still fairly green) and I'm havin troubles with both girder and the normal usbuirt plugin. Also, I barely have time to work on our own machine, with the job and all. :lol: Maybe that explains why I've been so tired lately... Gosh..

Anyways, if you really wanted to, I could take a look, I just have no idea how long it would be until I got back to you.
Another fairly simple thing to try would be to change the default button. Possibly something with the button itself is making it not like to start there.
Even though with the new screens it still doesn't work, right? So yeah, that's a head-scratcher. You're bound to get a few with something like xlobby.
I hope it gets resolved.

Thanks for following up bro! tsw managed to resolve it...

I'll still post my skin (when complete) if you want to check it out... definitely not on par with some of the complex ones here, but I spent enough time on it to make it do what I need ;)
slaman