xap-xlobby plugin on all computers disappeared !!!

Xlobby plugin development

xap-xlobby plugin on all computers disappeared !!!

Postby Heiko on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:11 pm

What's happened? Since today in the morning on all my PC the plugin wasn't in the plugin section. Has it a coded death? It would be terrible if the xap functionality is gone in xlobby. Anybody with the same problem?
-----
Ahhh :-) found the problem. It was a new xapintranet.ocx (xAP-Application from mi4). After uninstalling the xap-intranet launcher, unregistering the ocx, reinstalling all the xap-xlobby plugins, restoring my xap schemas - all is running again.
I wonder that a problem with a ocx on my server has crashed all configurations on my clients.
Heiko

Postby Jay on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:38 pm

I'm running that ocx to use FloorPlan. When the xAP plugin disappears - and it has from time to time before I installed that ocx - I kill DeviceMap.xml. When XL comes back up, it rebuilds the devicemap and all is well.
Jay

Postby Heiko on Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:05 pm

Thanks a lot for your help!
Heiko

Postby Jay on Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:34 pm

:D Hope this works for you with any future loss of the xAP plugin.

It's a 'brittle' plugin. I have learned to turn off my xAP hub before killing XL. I also relaunch my hub before bringing XL back up. If it doesn't see a hub, the xAP plugin configures itself as the hub. You do not want that to happen!

At least on my system.

Hopefully, Steven will write a robust xAP plugin.
Jay

New Xap Plugin

Postby Bill Lott on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:35 pm

I second the request.

Please Steven.
Bill Lott

Postby Jay on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:19 pm

Agreed Bill, and thanks again for the note to kill devicemap.xml when this happens.
Jay

Postby Heiko on Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:44 pm

For all the guys having problems with the devicemap.xml in the /plugins/xap-xlobby/schema folder, here is my workarround:

1. make a batch file (e.g. killdevicemap.bat) with only one instruction:
del devicemap.xml
and put it in the /plugins/xap-xlobby/schema folder

2. Forget the imported/exit command and make a new event (e.g. exit_xlobby).
Add a os/execute file command to this event and execute your batch file. Add as a second command xlobby/exit and use this event for closing XLobby.

Works for me.
Heiko

Postby Jay on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:26 pm

That's a good workaround :)

I ended up sidestepping xAP altogether with a couple of HomeSeer2 .asp pages for my fat clients' web browsers.

Happy to post screenshots and source code if anyone wants, but Heiko's solution is a logical, simple and solid fix.
Jay

Postby Bill Lott on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:53 am

Jay,

Would love to see a couple screenshots. I am unable to use xap plugin due to memory issues. I keep hoping that Steven will attack this when he gets bored (as opposed to board) with wakeboarding.

Bill
Bill Lott

Postby Jay on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:38 am

Here you go Bill.

I just pressed the 'Barn attic on' button as you can see. Down at the bottom of the browser window you can see the confirmation message. This is handy if I am nowhere near where the event is taking place.

This is actually 2 asp pages. This setup allows me to call the HS event buttons whatever I'd like as opposed to needing to honor the exact event names.

Source is yours if you'd like.

http://www.gladwyne.com/avatars/XL_cont ... enshot.jpg
Jay

Postby Bill Lott on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:54 pm

Jay,

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

lottbill at bellsouth dot net.
Bill Lott

Postby Jay on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:59 pm

OK Bill. give me a bit to copy both pages to notepad and shoot them to you from jay at gladwyne.com.
Jay

Postby Jay on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:24 pm

on the way. If it's useful to you, we can clean it up and share it w/other HA - starved members. This approach ignores interface protocol. An event is an event. There's even a USBIRIT event in there (barn tv).

<soapbox>Said this months back. IMHO, let HS (and other HA progs so long as they have a Web interface) do the heavy lifting. Just use Steve's web browser as a window to your HA server.</soapbox> :D
Jay

Postby Jay on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:41 pm

Hey Bill, did you get the ASPs?
I was a bit concerned about the 'duh' factor - giving you more info than you needed. Don't know your level. Mine's pretty low :(
Jay

Postby Bill Lott on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:24 am

Out this week traveling on business. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but thanks again in advance. It could be just the ticket.

Bill
Bill Lott

Next