Learning how to program xLobby

Speak your mind

Learning how to program xLobby

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:14 am

Can anyone help me find where I can learn how to program xlobby? I really want to dig in to this stuff but I have no programming background. Thanks for any help or direction.
sharp_1

Postby rembetis on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:21 am

Depends what you mean by programming. If you mean edit the core code... you can't. Xlobby is not open source. If you mean coding a plugin, you should start here (though I know nothing about that). But I'm guessing what you really mean is how to edit the skin and/or change the functionality of the skin (or perhaps create your own skin?). If so, check out Colby's Skinning Guide.

For more specifics, do specific searches or ask specific questions ;-)
rembetis

Postby sharp_1 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:28 am

Thanks rembetis.

I have a few priority things I would like to get up and running first in my HT room. I have a Yamaha HTR5890 and a DVP-777es mega changer that I would like to control with a server and one client for now. I just need to know how I can get everything talking to eachother??? I downloaded xlobby the other day and was about to get some of my dvd library loaded using dvdprofiler which was pretty easy...but now how do I get things to play off xlobby??? Thanks again for the help.
sharp_1

Postby Colby on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:12 am

A quick and easy way to get xlobby talking to your ht equipment is to use an USB-UIRT. It can learn remote codes and transmit them. This integrated with xlobby can easy make xlobby act as the remote.
Colby

Postby rembetis on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:24 pm

sharp_1 wrote:I have a few priority things I would like to get up and running first in my HT room. I have a Yamaha HTR5890 and a DVP-777es mega changer that I would like to control with a server and one client for now.

Check out this thread and maybe PM galileo for tips. Sounds like you two have the same DVD changer.
rembetis

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:45 pm

Colby wrote:A quick and easy way to get xlobby talking to your ht equipment is to use an USB-UIRT. It can learn remote codes and transmit them. This integrated with xlobby can easy make xlobby act as the remote.

Does the USB-UIRT have to de run with Girder??? or will it run directly from xlobby?

How does the ir signal get the the receiver and the dvd changer?

Both my receiver and dvd changer have rs232c serial ports...I wouldn't be using them if I use the USB-UIRT right???

Thanks for the help.
sharp_1

Postby rembetis on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:46 pm

sharp_1 wrote:Does the USB-UIRT have to de run with Girder??? or will it run directly from xlobby?

No, the USB-UIRT does not have to run with Girder (though you can run them together for more advanced needs). Xlobby has build-in support with the UIRT plugin.

How does the ir signal get the the receiver and the dvd changer?
The UIRT is both a receiver and a transmitter -- it simultaneously transmits signals from its front and a port on the back, where you can plugin in additional IR relays. So you teach Xlobby the signal you need transmitted, link an IR trigger to an Xlobby event, and then Xlobby sends the signal to your other devices.

Both my receiver and dvd changer have rs232c serial ports...I wouldn't be using them if I use the USB-UIRT right???
Correct, the UIRT does not use RS232 ports. For that you need Girder, at least until (if?) somebody codes an RS232 plugin for Xlobby....
rembetis