Touchscreen troubles

V3 help and support questions

Touchscreen troubles

Postby Jay on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Developing my HTPC. Currently using a Dell 1680 x 1050 screen with XL. Will replace with HDTV.
Added a 2nd 1024 x 768 monitor to emulate a touch screen using a mouse. Mirrored XL on both with UltraMon's Vista beta 3.0.3.

Worked great so I ordered some touchscreens which arrived today. Turned off mirroring, hooked up a touchscreen, installed the drivers, told the software that monitor 2 was the touchscreen and calibrated.

Great.

Turned on UltrMon mirroring and no touch control. Apparently, calibration gets wacked. The screen still "sees" a touch because it still beeps.

Maybe/maybe not relevant.
During the touchscreen installation process there was something about PS2 mouse (emulation?). I chose that option but got a warning about possibly losing mouse control or some such and I backed out of that option.

How are you guys handling touchscreens?

I did turn off mirroring, told XL to go to the touchscreen and run the media player on the main monitor. That worked fine -'course I want ALL of XL on the big screen :)

TIA
Jay

Re: Touchscreen troubles

Postby Jay on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Forgot to mention that when mirroring, regardless of where I touch, the pointer appears on the extreme right side of the touchscreen.
Jay

Postby Grooby on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:09 am

On touch screen i use there is an option in touch software to expand touch to second monitor. You need to do this otherwise if your main display (mine is projector) thinks it is a touch screen stealing the focus off the touch monitor. By expanding to 2nd monitor in software, system thinks you have 2 touch monitors allowing full touch control on correct touch monitor.

I use ultramon, but i don't mirror. I have a display profile set up where projector is main monitor and the touch is 2nd monitor with extend desktop ticked for it. This way xlobby is just on touchscreen and movies launch on projector leaving controls on touch 2nd monitor.

Andy
Grooby

Postby Jay on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks Andy. I ended up putting a thin client in mimic mode on the touchscreen as I want all XL content on the main screen. Simply could not map XL on the touchscreen otherwise.
Jay