True Zone Sync Across Cards.

Speak your mind

True Zone Sync Across Cards.

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:12 pm

So I've been multi-zoning in my house for a while now using the KX drivers/CL cards. The only limiting factor has been when running the system in a whole house, multi-floor sync situation (or even individual zones on the different floors sharing the same source). Since each card takes care of a floor in my house, the sync has been slightly off. The only time you would really notice this was going up/down the stairs between the floors, also every once and a while, you would get some skipping, and jerking when the one card drifted too much in timing.

Well...DOH! I think I have figured out a way around this. Gees, I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Maybe others have, and have mentioned it already...only I'm a little thick at times :shock: . It will take one additional soundcard (either standalone or motherboard). Set this card up as a source for all zones by directing a instance of winamp to it. Then send the card's outputs to the line-ins of CL cards. Then select the line-in inputs for the zones you want to listen to the music on. Voila, perfect sync between cards. This also allows, well at least in my ZoneSkin4 setup, for the configuration of a 4th individual source for each card (currently there are three individual source control for each card, then they share the forth source for multi-floor "sync" playback).

I'll fill in the blanks more as I get closer to the Maytrix coming online, as it will then be an additional source that can be selected and shared via the line-ins.

Discussion welcomed.
Marbles_00

Re: True Zone Sync Across Cards.

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:33 pm

How do u plan to connect tier 1 card (source stage) to tier 2 cards (zone stage)? With physical loopback cable or somehow in software perhaps?
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:55 pm

How do u plan to connect tier 1 card (source stage) to tier 2 cards (zone stage)? With physical loopback cable or somehow in software perhaps?

Then send the card's outputs to the line-ins of CL cards
Yep, physical connection.

Here's a quick pic to show what I'm going to do. Excuse the funky colors.

Currently the top source is 0/1 for each card and is tied to the winamp instance using the multi-output plugin. So the audio is output to both cards (but a little out of sync). This winamp source, minus the plugin could be used for outputting to the motherbaord sound. Then 0/1 inputs on the KX DSP for each sound card could be used for an additional individual sources, like the next three source inputs on the DSP (inputs 4/5, 6/7, 8/9).

It will also mean that the the total number of instances of winamp open will go from 7 currently to 9 (4 individual sources for each card, 1 for multi-zoning between floors).
Marbles_00

Postby wesblack on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:17 pm

Marbles,

Have you tried the latest improvements to V3 for multi-zone audio. The syncing algorithm is better then in the past. :D

You could also just use a audio or audio-video matrix switcher and have it do all the work of combining or re-directing audio sources.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:47 am

Have you tried the latest improvements to V3 for multi-zone audio. The syncing algorithm is better then in the past.
I don't have V3, Wes, I didn't have the funds for it when it was offered so I can't try out the improvements :( . Maybe sometime in the future.

You could also just use a audio or audio-video matrix switcher and have it do all the work of combining or re-directing audio sources
That's what my Maytrix is. Its a 4x2 Matrix switch that is controllable via parallel port. Eventually I'm going to design it for USB or LAN, but I gotta start somewhere :D .

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:47 pm

Yeah apparently is case of my highly selective reading skills again, should have picked up from original post that u r using MAYTRIX and hence naturally using physical connections... i guess i was just hopeful that uve stumbled upon gold nugget of a software for intercard signal passing.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:22 pm

You don't need to use the Maytrix or any other switch unit. Only reason I'm going to be using it is because I have multiple external sources to connect to the line-ins. You could use patch cord 3.5mm plug to "Y" 3.5mm plugs, or worst case 3.5mm plug to "Y" 3.5mm sockets, then 3.5mm plug extensions to the CL Zone cards.

The only other way I can think of doing it is take an output from the one CL card and input it into the line-in of the other, but doing so, you've wasted a potential zone from one card. Or as Wes indicates get a big matrix switch output everything to it and then send its outputs directly to the amps. Have it controlled via within Xlobby (the newer V3 would allow for feedback from the matrix switch, as long as its compatible).
Marbles_00