Video player plugin?

Xlobby plugin development

Video player plugin?

Postby dalanik on Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:16 am

Hi there. now that badubo helped me with my dialog "ontop" problem, I have manged to create what I wanted. And that is a video player plugin.

Why? It was not meant as a replacement for Zoom or TT, but for MPC, when you want to display video in window... that looks integrated in XLobby.

One of the weakest parts of my config (IMHO) is MPC/video in window integration. With XMoveWindow it kinda works, but it takes a couple of seconds to pop open MPC, and in that time, if I press anything on remote controller (left - right arrow keys i.e.) the player receives it and all is screwed.

That's why I wanted better integration and that can be achieved only with plugin. Take a look at XVis plugin how well it integrates with XLobby! it never steals focus or fails to open on top etc.

So I'm experimenting with DirectX based plugin player, to be used in window.

And it ingerates pretty well! It never steals focus! Plus, it's less than 30K in size (compared to MPC's 1-5 Mb).

I have yet to test it with all different video formats, but so far it works fine with .avi (which is what I use the most) but somehow fails with i.e. wmv... Which is pretty weird, concerning that is microsoft's own format :-)

Anyone out there into DirectX? I tried searching on the net, but couldn't find exact specification what file formats it does handle...

Is this (DirectX) way to go or is using MCI better?

Anyone willing to test this (very early alpha) plugin with various formats?

D.
dalanik

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:04 am

All modern players on windows are implemented on DirectShow, it used to be part of DirectX but is not anymore, nowadays it belongs to Platform SDK. Fileformats it can play, are just limited by video codecs (directshow filters) u have installed on system.

Ive also made my own player called "WINning Player", for different reasons though... i needed more flexibility, possibility to play any custom filtergraph. and i know ZP is supposed to do that to, funny enough i never did got it to play all my graphs (besides converting graphs to format it reads is pain in the a$$).
P3rv3rt B3ar