Codecs

Speak your mind

Codecs

Postby a06lp on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:56 am

I was wondering if everyone could list what codecs they use on their HTPC along with XLobby?

At the moment, I am only using ffdshow 20051129. However, many of my movies do not play audio (only music, but no speech - wired, huh?)

I'm trying to find the least amounts of codecs, which use the least amount of resources, to use on my system.

So, please tell me what you've got!
a06lp

Postby vicom on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:17 am

I use Zoom Player and all the codecs I downloaded from their site. They have a section that shows u how to configure each codec to work with ZP
vicom

Postby a06lp on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:39 pm

can some more people please respond with their codecs?

I'd like a more detailed list if possible. So, please list which codecs & versions, as well as what types of files you play, and what player you use to play them.

Thanks!
a06lp

Postby dalanik on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:21 am

I have installed ffdshow, realalternative and quicktimealternative, and that's it! :-) ffdshow does everything I need, divx, Xvid, mpeg, AAC, subtitles... Ah, yes, plus I have WinDVD, for DVD playback (which I never use).

D.
dalanik

Postby a06lp on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:39 pm

dalanik wrote:I have installed ffdshow, realalternative and quicktimealternative, and that's it! :-) ffdshow does everything I need, divx, Xvid, mpeg, AAC, subtitles... Ah, yes, plus I have WinDVD, for DVD playback (which I never use).

D.

hmm. I have the exact same codecs, but for some reason, many of my movies/files don't have sound in zoom player. they do work in mpc, though.

did you change settings or anything I should know about?
a06lp

Postby rembetis on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:53 pm

Are you new to Zoomplayer? If so, do some homework. The Zoomplayer forum and AVS Home Theater Computer forum are both rich troves of information (as well as the AVS HTPC Archives).

Follow this guide to the letter and you should be fine. Ffdshow is not a DVD decoder, so you will need something else for that (WinDVD, PowerDVD, nVidia PureVideo, etc.). WinDVD and PowerDVD both have additional audio setting screens within ZPlayer that need to be configured correctly for you to pass Dolby Digital.
rembetis