Just thought of this one...

Got an idea, post it here

Just thought of this one...

Postby bmblank on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:44 pm

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here but a feature I would like doesn't have much to do with xlobby at all. I guess I'm what you'd call a noob and what I'd like is for there to be little explanations of the plugins and skins and whatever. I realize that there are alot of people out there that aren't having any troubles but for me for example, I don't know if I want to get a plugin because I don't know what it does. xAP for example. I have no idea what that does. Anyhoo, I don't want to step on any toes here.
bmblank

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:04 pm

I think nobody here disagrees with u. This is tough soft to get into, even harder to master, i certainly hope as new people learn it, they will make better documentation for next generation...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby S Pittaway on Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:41 pm

this probably isent the answer that you are looking for...

but why dont you knock a list up as you go along? :)

make a list of everything that leaves yu confused (you want someone new to xlobby to do this)

fill in the answers as you figure them out, then stick a post in the hints and tips a sort of faq?
S Pittaway

Postby cooldog on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:29 am

In my not-so-humble-opinion, what's missing is the "skinning tutorial", a step-by-step explication of "How to do XXXXXX" and "How to do YYYYY".

I recently stumbled across Colby's new guide, and it's a good reference work, telling us what each of the pieces of the puzzle do. But it doesn't tell me what pieces I have to work with to do what I want to do.

I'm an xlobby "noob" too, but an odd one ... I really shouldn't *be* a noob anymore, but I've been haviing a hell of a time getting started with any sort of skin modifications beyond just changing or adding an action or two to the default skin.

Xlobby has a real high MEGO ("My Eyes Glaze Over") factor for me. Believe me, it's not that I don't know my way around computers and programming ... I've been at it professionally for just over 35 years now, from just about every possible angle from hardware and software for video games, embedded systems and machine control to mainframe and supercomputer programming, to PC hardware design and networking, web services, database administration, etc, etc, etc. Basically, with the exception of COBOL, and image recognition and AI stuff, I've worked on, or at least played with it ALL. Well, OK, maybe not all, but an astonishingly wide range of "computer stuff".

Been self-employed since '83, and haven't lost the house yet ....

(as an aside, it's really a funny moment when you are forced to realize that you're no longer the "kid", but are more likely to be thought of as the "old man", but that's another story)

Anyway ...

I know that I could eventually wrap my head around this xlobby stuff, but without the "Rosetta Stone" of a tutorial, it is going to take a good full day of uninterrupted effort, and that is damn near impossible to come by. I can frequently find an hour or two to play, but it's REALLY hard to find a full day.

I really envy the guys here that have already gotten over the steep part of the xlobby learning curve. As soon as I found xlobby, I could immediately see that it was the best software for it's purpose, so I *must* figure out how to make it do the things that I need.
cooldog

Postby Colby on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:55 am

... what's missing is the "skinning tutorial", a step-by-step explication of "How to do XXXXXX" and "How to do YYYYY".

This is kind of a huge task because Xlobby can do so much. I know my skinning guide pretty much just identifies the skin editor, and doesnt show you. But that would be impossible.
I compare it to a program like Adobe Photoshop. You know what you want to do (manipulate graphics) so you know you need this program Photoshop, because it will do what you want it to do. The steep learning curve is 2 part. 1 you must learn all the functions of photoshop so you have tools to create with. It takes awhile to master ones toolbox. The 2nd part of the curve is learning what, and how to design. Just because you know all the functions of adobe software, doesnt make you a graphic designer. For that you need to understand theory, reason, and have creativity.

So it is with skinning, I couldnt tell a person how to do everything in the skin editor, anymore than I could tell someone how to create anything in photoshop. On an individual basis I could show how, but to create a documentation that shows step by step how to do anything, or everything isnt practical. For one on one, use the forum. There are many knowledgable people that can help with one specific need.

Also Ive always wished a newbie would come in and document how to do whatever. When they get stuck document it, get advice from us, and show that in the document. I believe its very hard for an "Expert" user to relate, or identify basic documentation. I know it is for me, its hard to get hung up when I know what i can and cant do already.

My next big documentation is a FAQ anyway. But that is some time away. I gots an antique jukebox to build.
Colby

Postby briands on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:14 pm

I agree that it the flexibility makes it difficult to document, but it could be done by some talented soul. Since you mention PS, there are documented tutorials for it. The way most work is that they have sample files to work with. Maybe one of the skinning wizzes who is working on a new skin could simply document the proceedure as they go. Not every detail, but the the basic steps to make a functioning skin. The toughest part about starting from scratch is knowing what to do first. Do you do layout first? Do you create your events first? etc.
briands