filter on startup

Help each other out

filter on startup

Postby dalanik on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:45 am

OK, I've been playing with it for 15 minutes and just can't figure it.... I have done filtering several years ago :)

What I need is to set, upon xlobby start, automatically, w/o user intervention, filter to filter all movies only to genre "Animation", so the kid can find his cartoons easier.

I've tried filtering commands, but just can't get it to work w/o ABC overlay :)

Any ideas how to do it?

D.
dalanik

Re: filter on startup

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:21 pm

not quite what you asked, but i do a similar thing via a custom search on genra = family...

another way is to filter the movies into a cat (say movefilter) and then show its resutls in another category (movefilter.results). you can then jump to the genre entry you want and you will see them pop results cat.

i have played with a layout based on this -

TV.jpg
S Pittaway

Postby dalanik on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanx for the idea, I might implement something similar to your setup, it really looks nice, but in this case it doesn't solve my problem....

Heeeelp! :)
dalanik

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:21 pm

It is sort of doing what you want... you dont have to show the first two cats. And i still think you can do it with a custom search... :) But

Make a cat "movie.filter.results", this can be hidden and point its details to "movie.filter.results.details", set it to instant update.

Make another cat "movie.filter.results.details", this is the cat you show on the screen (it will contain the movies).

trigger "set filter:movies:genre:movie.filter.results"

You now need a pluging to let you move to a given entry in In "movie.filter.results" (find display = "animation"). You could use xJumpTo (a plugin i wrote ages ago) to do this.

You will now have a cat ("movie.filter.results.details") whichs looks like a normal movie cat when you have filtered on genre and then drilled into animation(but the user has not had to do anything).

Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby tswhite70 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Try using a Custom Search instead of filter. Create an Event using Category:Custom Search, set variables

category: movies
field: genre
value: Animation

You can then either add the event to your startup events, or the way I would do it is to put a button on you main screen for say "Kids Movies" along with your normal movies button. The "Kids Movies" button would do the custom search then goto movies screen. If you do it that way you'll need to add a command to your normal movies button to reset the category when clicking your normal movies button.

If you didn't want to add another item to your Menu screen you could create a secondary Movies selection overlay that allowed you to choose between "Movies" and "Kids Movies".

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby dalanik on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanx, I'll give it a try. I have a "logon" screen at startup, so the kids just have to select their picture and get only cartoons, that is the idea :-) I also want to filter music upon their logon to kid's songs only :-)

Thanx,
D.
dalanik

Postby dalanik on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:26 pm

It works! My kids thank you!! :-)

D.
dalanik

Postby S Pittaway on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:12 pm

To be fair i did say

not quite what you asked, but i do a similar thing via a custom search on genra = family...

in my first post :D
S Pittaway

Postby dalanik on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:51 pm

S Pittaway wrote:To be fair i did say

in my first post :D

Yes, somehow I didn't understand what you ment :-)

Thanx to both!
:-)

D.
dalanik

Postby CiXel on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks to this thread I've figured out how to set buttons to do the individual searches that I want which solves issue one. Is there a way to do a search event that can show more than one value?

I presently have two buttons: one to show HD content, and one to show DVD content.
What I'd like to do it create a 3rd that shows ALL content. In this case ie. HD&DVD.

Comma separating the values doesn't seem to work, and I can't just define Movie>name as a valid input.

**Edit
Better yet, I would like to show ALL movies in the movies database as a flat structure. ie. No folder views.
CiXel