What TV tuner card to use with Xlobby ??

Speak your mind

What TV tuner card to use with Xlobby ??

Postby Vaporware on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:12 pm

I thinking about adding a TV tuner card to Xlobby but I am a bit concerned about what type to get.

What are people here using for tuner cards and are you happy with it ?

Would something like this tuner card on Ebay work

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILIPS-CHIPSET-TV- ... dZViewItem

or should I spend a little more for a better card ?

Thanks,
Tom :)
Vaporware

Postby lar282 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:49 pm

since XL does not have any tv capabilities at all, you have to decide what program to use first.there is a couple of options to use with XL, check the plugin section

//Lasse
lar282

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:21 pm

I don't think you really should be concerned so much as to if the card can be used with Xlobby. Xlobby does not directly control the tuner cards. It is left up to Sage, BeyondTv, GBPVR or any other Video Capture software. If you are using a Xlobby/Sage skin, then you should find out if SageTV can recongize that cards chipset. This can be done by checking out their website

Generally people have had pretty good success using Hauppauge, and Hauppauge type of cards. ATI is another card that people have used.

Hope this was helpful.

David
Marbles_00

Postby Vaporware on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes I do understand that Xlobby does not support TV tuners directly. From what I can tell from exploring Xlobby is that Xlobby supports XLTV plugin that can interface with K!TV to provide a window in Xlobby. This would be what I need if I understand correctly and could get it to work. I did download and installed K!TV as I have a ATI Radeon 7500 tuner card in my Xlobby computer at the moment but all I can get K!TV to do is lock up and as far as I can tell it is because my tuner card is not supported. It looks like I have to have a tuner card that is supported by WDM drivers so I was trying to figure out what other people are using for a tuner card to do this.

Thanks,
Vaporware

Postby lar282 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:31 pm

I got a Hauppauge PVR-250 card. Only analog and I use it with the MediaPortal "plugin"

Soon bying a usb2 DVB-T tuner aswell to complement the analog part. Just waiting for the mdapi to be ready in MP

//Lasse
lar282

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 pm

Ah, you are not really wondering what card will work with Xlobby, but what card will work with K!TV, for that the below quote was extracted from their help page:

"TV Tuner Card:From now, K!TV allows you using all TV and video acquisition board since it is properly installed with WDM drivers (Windows Driver Model). BT848 and BT878 cards have even better support with DScaler drivers so you don't need to install manufacturer's drivers with those cards. Let us mention that K!TV cannot be used with TV cards using MPEG 2 encoded data transfers like Hauppauge Win-TV PVR, nor almost all USB2 based TV cards. "

You can read more about it here:
http://www.kastortv.org/help/index.php? ... langue=eng
Marbles_00

Postby C-moi on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:29 pm

xltv works with 4 programs :
- progDVB
- myTheatre
- WinTV2000
- K!TV
C-moi

Postby Vaporware on Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:36 am

Thanks. That is the information I was looking for. I was not sure if a card like the PRV-250 would work. I guess I should have provided a bit more information on what I am trying to do. I have a few outside security cameras that output analog video signals for which I place the output signal on a couple of unused channels in the house cable system. That way I can check on the dog outside or who driving up the driveway just by selecting the channel on the TV. I was hoping to expand that ability to Xlobby by creating a way to watch those channels from a window in xlobby since I have Xlobby up all the time on a couple of access points and I do not have the TVs on all the time. At first I thought that Xlobby would do TV directly but I now understand that by using plugins and other software I should be able to do this if I get the right hardware. Is my understanding correct ?

The other option is to get one of those IP Video 9100A Plus Network Video Servers that take analog signals and converts them to IP video stream points for up to four cameras. Sometime geeks.com have them for $75.00. I then could access those IP points like some people have accessed IP weather cameras in their skins. Is this feasable ?

If both methods will work which is easier ?

Thanks,
Vaporware

Postby C-moi on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:05 am

1)
Is my understanding correct ?

yes : you'll watch your video signal as a simple tv channel but be sure that your tv card run with one of the 4 programs :
- progDVB
- myTheatre
- WinTV2000
- K!TV

2) I then could access those IP points like some people have accessed IP weather cameras in their skins. Is this feasable ?

don't know

Code: Select all
If both methods will work which is easier ?

i think the first method is easier.
You can download the plugin ans read the help (in english).
When you'll run XLTVConfig.exe in Tuners, choose
MT for myTheatre or WinTV2000 or K!TV or DVB for progDVB
Don't forget select your tv channel with video signal in xltv channel window.
In Favorites, create a group of favorites named Local TV by example and put the channels with video signal coming from your cameras in it before saving.
C-moi