Question regarding Winamp...

Help each other out

Question regarding Winamp...

Postby Clint on Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:08 pm

Well, let me start in the typical fashion - I recently rebuilt my htpc to get rid of the tower look next to the stereo, and in the process decided to see what was available as a front end. I found myHTPC and was impressed, tried out MainLobby and was more impressed (except for the lack of embedded cover art support), then stumbled upon XLobby and was impressed even more. This is a great package, easy to use, and extremely flexible. You have done a tremendous job putting this together.

So, in the process of trying to get my new system set up, I've run into a small issue & was wondering if any of you might have an answer or solution. I'm using a Kanam HT-200B HTPC case, which comes with an included VFD display (I want to say that Hitachi is the OEM, and it is a LPT connected display, not serial or USB). I downloaded Smartie to drive the VFD, and can use it to display the track being played with Winamp. However, when XLobby launches Winamp, for some reason that instance of Winamp will not get recognized by Smartie, & I get no output on the VFD. Is there something diffferent about how XLobby launches Winamp vs. launching it manually? Anyone have an idea what is going on? Alternatively, if anyone knows of another VFD/LCD program that will work to replace Smartie, I would go that route as well. I just have not been able to find another program that will work with a LPT-connected VFD.

Thanks,
Clint
Clint

Postby Tracie on Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:35 am

Hmmm, I don't use a remote or VFD display, but if what I've read about them is true then Winamp needs to be running in the foreground for the remote & VFD to work. Xlobby (if I understand how it works correctly) just uses what I think of as shorcuts for the common tasks that you need to run Winamp & keeps Winamp in the background. I have no idea what the fix would be - maybe Girder? Like I said, I don't use either of those devices so maybe someone that does will chime in.

Best of luck.
Tracie

Postby wmandra on Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:19 am

Clint,
I just finished installing a Matrix Orbital VFD in my HTPC and noticed the exact same problem that you described. I am using LCDC to drive my display which is a 4x20 VFD. If I open Winamp manually the info is all displayed, but when Xlobby starts Winamp it is not recognized. I will probably mess around with it a little more this weekend, but I am wondering if steven uses any command line switches when starting Winamp that blocks this functionality.

Bill

...EDIT....
Just finished emailing back & forth with steven and this problem should be fixed in the next release of Xlobby A40
...EDIT...
wmandra

Postby Clint on Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:17 pm

Thanks for the update, and thanks for the fix Steven. I just wrote it off as something I would mess with down the road once I replaced the VFD with a larger LCD - the text is too small to read in my den when the pc is in the stereo rack.

Thanks,
Clint
Clint