-- HDCP --

Speak your mind

-- HDCP --

Postby xblob on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:21 am

Hi friends,

Still researching the components while saving my bucks to get a projector and a HTPC. Ran into lots of garbage about HDCP. My question is - is there a video card that has HDMI input (out from HDMI cable box)? and does this card have HDMI out (to the HDMI in of the projector)? I want to be able to record shows in raw digital or whatever comes in on HDMI... It would also be good to have a separate video component that takes all my video inputs and outputs to the projector in HDMI, converted from any and all my video inputs... Does this exist? Same for sound... It would be fun to have a box that also took all my sound inputs and outputted it to my HTPC - so that the PC could route the sound to whatever speakers I want... (from tv, stereo, xbox, dvd player, tv tuner)...

Or can anyone think of a better setup than this? I'd love to hear it... Or any comments - or just a hello :-) - cuz I certainly don't know diddly squat about this stuff... It all seems to be a big complicated marketing money-making $#% scheme farce with HDCP.

Thanks,
-xblob
xblob

Postby Naylia on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:25 pm

There's no HDMI-in cards...at least not any that accept protected content, and there's no reasonable way to do component in either. Here's some folks trying to do the audio side of things...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591103
Naylia

Postby tswhite70 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:32 pm

The only way to get transport type streams from a cable box is via Firewire. Check out the SageTV forums for firewire and UNE (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9288).

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby asc99c on Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:31 pm

I want to be able to record shows in raw digital or whatever comes in on HDMI...

Unfortunately THEY don't want you to...

Most cable / Satellite boxes with PVR functionality (here in the UK) do just record the raw transport stream so playback is the same quality as it would be if you watched it at the time. However they sell them with HDDs too small for you to create a media library of any size.

Don't wait for this to be available - it probably never will. Even if HDMI input tipped up, I'd put money on it simply being a pass through to the cards HDMI output and even that only being usable with the install of special drivers that don't let you at the stream.
asc99c