Evaluation period over

Speak your mind

Evaluation period over

Postby bbertram on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi, I have been using XLobby for the past 25 days or so and I really like it. Works great for what I do. I have a window that now pops up saying that the evaluation period is about to expire. Whats up with that? Can I purchase this somewhere? Do I re-install it? If I re-install it how do I backup what I already have so its not gone with the re-install? Thanks for the help.

Brent
bbertram

Re: Evaluation period over

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:04 pm

You don't have the latest pre-release. Download #7 and install. Make sure you do a backup of your xlobby.xml file in the xlobby root, and any custom made databases (though they shouldn't be touched...you just never know). You should then be good to go until the 20th of Oct.

Can I purchase this somewhere?

You want to purchase a pre-release? :) Just joking, but that is a question that we are all pondering.
Marbles_00

Postby defrag on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:40 am

Welcome to the forum bbertram!!

There should be a new pre-release coming very soon, see the post from Wes http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5974

Installing a new pre-release should not affect your current settings, I believe there is an option in the setup to upgrade rather than overwrite

As Marbles said, we are all waiting for the pricing to be announced and as it seems that Calrad are already selling installations with xlobby, hopefully it won't be too long.
defrag

Postby Vaporware on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:15 am

As Marbles said, we are all waiting for the pricing to be announced and as it seems that Calrad are already selling installations with xlobby, hopefully it won't be too long.

I just spent about an hour trying to download from http://www.Calrad.com their newest catalog to get an idea of what Calrad offers. Their catalog is over 9 meg and contains 192 pages in PDF format. Why an hour for just 9 meg. Not sure. I have a broadband connection but the Calrad download seems to be freezing up after random download amounts. Any other place I go downloads are lickly split. In any event I did finally get the complete catalog. Very impressive line of products. Everything from cables to connectors to full blown amps and AV switches. Could be a one stop shop. The one thing that did catch my attention right away was... No Pricing... Not one $$. Lots of part numbers but not a single price in the entire 192 pages.. It basically seems you have to call (or email) to get any pricing even if it is for a simple basic cable.. Hummm..
Next I tried to download the Xlobby brochure. Only 5.20 meg. Again Random download amounts before freezing. first 256K then 800K, then 128K, then 1.08Meg, 2.63meg, 3.2 meg, 1.2meg.., etc... After 20 minutes I still can not get the complete file.. I even tried Firefox. Nada. I think I finally got it. No wait.. Only 4.95 meg. What I see of the brochure looks impressive.. Great PR job.. Xlobby final looks like it going to be awesome. Still no prices.. Hummm. Perhaps that last .25 meg contains the pricing..
Anyway.. Calrad really needs to get another service provider.. Maybe it is just my end so someone else should give it a try.

Continuing on pricing... Now places like PartsExpress (as well as a hundred other places) I can browse their catalog on-line with prices and even buy things on-line.. My experience with other companies that do not publish even basic prices is 'If you have to ask you can not afford'. I hope this is not the case with Calrad but I am starting to get that strange feeling that it is based upon their website and the interactions the forum members here have had with Wes. Perhaps if they truely are "already selling installations with xlobby" as Wes had indicated then maybe someone in the States should just call them and ask ? What is the worst that can happen....
Tongue in cheek..Let me look into my crystal ball.. rub.rub.rub. :lol: In the foggy crystal I see you have to be an authorized installation / distributor agent of Calrad in order or to get pricing. rub.rub.rub. :lol: You need to buy our hardware...rub.rub.rub. :lol: oh.. and you need to do at least 10K of business... :lol: No wait.. That was 20K.... :lol:.. wait.. now its 30K... :lol:

Seriously folks.. I bet I am being just a bit overly cynical... Things will work out okay.. Wes said he would treat us well.

Later,
Tom :)
Vaporware

Postby wesblack on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:58 am

Hi Tom,

The reason we have no pricing is to protect over 5,000 + authorized distributors we have, they would stop buying from us if we show this information. Calrad has been around for over 55 years and in some case's resellers want to keep our product name a well kept secret, as many distributors do well with selling our products as theres. We are an OEM company and make products for the Broadcast, Pro A-V markets, Medical, Aerospace and other markets that are not shown here or on the Calrad website. I will have to check some of the links for download issues you are experiencing. Yes we are selling complete systems, we currently have many of them running in homes that have typically a xLobby server and multiple clients with multiple touch screens, IR+RF remotes etc. The average home size is 5,000 to 15,000 sq. ft. . I am collecting pictures of the installations from the installers and expect to post them on the forum soon.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Vaporware on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi Wes,
Thanks for the reply. From what you have wrote I get the impression that Calrad serves the 'price is no object' client. The 'multi-million dollar group' so to speak. I am thinking that most of the forum users here are not in that group. I am sure they would like to be ;) I guess I could get to be barely over a 5,000 sq ft average home size if I add my 2,760 sq ft unfinished basement to my 2,760 sq ft house. Not sure from a property tax standpoint I would want to do that but than again if I was part of the 'multi-million dollar group' I would not worry about that.. sigh.. I am now bracing for sticker shock... Looking forward to your installation pictures..

Tom :)
Vaporware

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:31 pm

5000 to 15,000 sq. ft?? Let's see ... yep, time to call a contractor .... need more space ;)
cmhardwick

Postby bbertram on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:22 am

Thank you for the helpful posts. This is some really great software, thank you to the developers for making it what it is. Also thank you to the all modders and plugin writers and great people on this forum.
bbertram

Postby nugentgl on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:14 pm

WOW!

I think I will stop working on getting xLobby to work as it looks like it will be way out of my price range. No sense in getting it working well then have to stop using it when it costs an arm and a leg to purchase.

Next stop MediaPortal...
nugentgl

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Considering your so far behind the 8 ball to begin with...since pricing/purchasing has been out and finished, you may be better off using MediaPortal. Who knows, you may find a bunch of us already there.
Marbles_00