XPad skin. Beta testers wanted!

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Postby TheBlindMan on Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:42 am

Tracie,

You need to install the fonts into the window fonts folder - for example, C:\Windows(or Winnt)\Fonts.

Drag and drop them into that folder and Windows should install them automatically.
TheBlindMan

Postby Tracie on Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:01 am

Blindman,
Just wanted to thank you & let you know that things seem to be working well. The graphics look great - it kind of has a Mac feel to it, which is what I've been looking for but don't have the talent to create from a graphics standpoint. I run my HDTV at a unique resolution (plus it's a 16x9 display), so I had to do a lot of work to the skin to get everything in the correct places, but I'm just about there (I also did some tweaking to what my preferences are visually).

Anyway, thanks again & I'll be sure & post any problems that I find, but it look like you've done a good job of keeping things pretty simple.
Tracie

Postby TheBlindMan on Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:48 am

Tracie, I'm glad it's working out for you!

If you don't mind, I'd love to see it. If you post some screen captures that would be great!
TheBlindMan

Postby Tracie on Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:51 am

Hi Blindman,
Sorry it took so long, but I've been busy with some other stuff lately. Here's a link to some screen captures:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gusthe ... /my_photos

It's really even more simplified than what you had. I have no need for multi-zone or the PPC screens so I got rid of those, plus some other pages that I really won't use. I've got to get to work one of these days on pictures - that would be really sweet on HDTV. Also I don't have the news set up yet - haven't decided if I'm even going to since the news is always so depressing. Each page has a minimize button in the upper right hand corner that has been enlarged & hidden. I've used the rollover feature somewhat from the tip that you gave me - very handy. Basically I had to rebuild a lot of it because it wasn't set up for a 16x9 resolution, so most things were out of whack when I opened it up. I'm not entirely happy with the movies page - needs something else, but I don't know what. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the rest of it.

I want to thank you again. This skin has a very iTunes/Mac kind of feel, & that's exactly what I've been looking for, but don't have the skills to create as far as graphics go. It really looks nice on my tv! :D
Tracie

Postby TheBlindMan on Sat May 01, 2004 1:48 am

WOW! That looks really good Tracie!

I'm glad to see that you tailored it to suit your specific needs... that what's so great about Xlobby, you can make it what YOU need! I've got to get my wife to explore it more... she not to computer savy so she just minimizes it and stays within her familiar Windows enviornment.
TheBlindMan

Postby Tracie on Sat May 01, 2004 2:32 am

Thanks, it's getting there. I've found that since I discovered Xlobby, the skinning thing is a neverending WIP. It may never truly be done. :wink:
Tracie

Postby jmb295 on Wed May 05, 2004 12:07 am

Tracie,

Would you be willing to post your changes. I'm attempting to get xlobby up and running on my system, and need a 16x9 skin.

Thanks!
jmb295

Postby Tracie on Wed May 05, 2004 4:50 am

Yeah, if I knew how! :D Seriously, I can email you the skin if you like. It's set up for 856x480, which is my desktop for my HDTV. Just so you know, it's very unfinished, just movies, music & weather.
Tracie

Weather problems

Postby Chuck on Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:16 pm

Very nice skin, I will probably use this one out of all I have looked at. THe only problem I am having is I get red boxes instead of the weather pictures? Any Idea what may be causing that?

THanks
CHuck
Chuck

Re: Weather problems

Postby jowaldo on Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:54 pm

Chuck wrote:Very nice skin, I will probably use this one out of all I have looked at. THe only problem I am having is I get red boxes instead of the weather pictures? Any Idea what may be causing that?

THanks
CHuck

could be broken http links or you need to "refresh" the images if there is a refresh button on the page... if not, you will need to add a refresh button and event to it
jowaldo

Re: Weather problems

Postby Chuck on Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:05 am

[quote="jowaldo"][quote="Chuck"]Very nice skin, I will probably use this one out of all I have looked at. THe only problem I am having is I get red boxes instead of the weather pictures? Any Idea what may be causing that?

THanks
CHuck[/quote]

could be broken http links or you need to "refresh" the images if there is a refresh button on the page... if not, you will need to add a refresh button and event to it[/quote]

Yeah I hit the refresh and it worked. It would be real nice to be able to see local weather settings.... It proabbly can be seen, but I am a COMPELTE NOOB at this, and I know absolutely nothing about programing. I am still figuring things out (like you can hit f2 to bring up setup.) And I just added my first button! It doesnt do anything, but it looks nice!

THanks
Chuck
Chuck

Postby TheBlindMan on Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:00 am

If you know a local weather website, you can insert your own links in for the weather pics. Just right click the pic select properties and copy clip the address. In Xlobby you add it like a button, except under the Screen Tab there's an Add Misc category where you paste the web address and presto you have a new weather clip!

I'm working on Xpad2, keep checking back, it should be ready in a couple of weeks.
TheBlindMan

Xpad2

Postby Chuck on Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:54 am

Are you adding a forecast? I love the default weather app, how you can scroll through different forecasts with the radar on the same page.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks
Chuck
Chuck

Postby MR on Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:04 pm

Tracie,

Nice job on your skin rev. Slightly off topic (I tried to send a PM but PMs are appearently disabled,) but are you making changes on your HDTV display or are you somehow doing it "off line?" I think we have similar setups, but I find it a little hard to do work on the HDTV directly. Using Remote Connection is great for control, but the aspect ratios of changes made in Xlobby get all screwed up. Just wondering how you are doing it.

Thanks,
MR
MR

Postby Tracie on Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:14 pm

Thank you. I can't take credit though, Blindman & Airpost did most of the work. I just tweaked it to what I prefer.

I do all of it on the HDTV via the wireless Airboard that I've got hooked up. I didn't even try to work on this on another monitor strictly because of the aspect ratio thing. It's a little more difficult, but once you get used to the Airboard it goes pretty quick.
Tracie

PreviousNext