New Plugin: Xscrollbar

Xlobby plugin development

New Plugin: Xscrollbar

Postby m_ski on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:09 am

EDIT:Updated 3rd May with new version which fixes 2nd problem with new screentest exe which caused an infinite loop on startup.

EDIT: Updated 27th Apr 2006 with new version which fixes the issue of not loading the images as startup in latest exe.

I have written a new plugin called Xscrollbar.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/skilling/xlobby/release/Xscrollbar_v2.1_3rd_May_2006.zip

This plugin generates a scrollbar image to indicate the current page in a category and the amount of the category that is being viewed.

Example showing scrollbar on the music screen...

Example showing scrollbar on the musicsearch overlay...

In order to use the Xscrollbar plugin do the following...

1) Extract the contents of the zip file to ...\plugins\Xscrollbar
2) Run xlobby and goto skin editor (Pause/Break)
3) Add a new button with the text;
plugin>xscrollbar>vertical( or horizontal)>category name>button_id
category name is the category you wish the scrollbar to be formed from
button_id is the button_id of this new button (Enter this next)
i.e. plugin>xscrollbar>vertical>music>music_vertbar

4) goto 'default' tab and enter a ID for the button (needs to be the only button with this id)
5) You should now have a working scrollbar image showing the current category position. The image produced is purely the scrollbar without the border around it, so you have to add this yourself if you want one with an ordinary xlobby rectangle.

You can change the images which make up the scroll bar just by changing the .png files. If these image files exist in the current skin folder then they will take priority over those in the plugins folder - this means you can use different imaages for each skin.

Hope this is useful for a few people, I have a few ideas for further enhancements but have a look and see what you think.
Last edited by m_ski on Wed May 03, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
m_ski

Postby galileo2000 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:07 pm

It can be EXTREMELY useful for me, but I cannot make it to work. I am getting error message when trying to enter Button ID.

Could you please be little more specific in the steps?

You wrote:
"3) Add a new button with the text;
plugin>xscrollbar>vertical( or horizontal)>category name>button_id
category name is the category you wish the scrollbar to be formed from
button_id is the button_id of this new button (Enter this next)
i.e. plugin>xscrollbar>vertical>music>music_vertbar "

Do I need to enter text right away or goto the Screen first and add button? What needs to be entered into ID field? like I said, I am getting the error trying to enter ID.

Thanks in advance, I am still a noob.
galileo2000

Postby dalanik on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:11 pm

I'm also getting an error mesage when i enter button ID...

D.
dalanik

Postby galileo2000 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:26 pm

If someone made it to work, please post the exact steps.

m_ski: is it possible that environment on your PC has something that "regular" xlobby install does not have?
galileo2000

Postby Colby on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:47 pm

I tried your plugin. I got the image to appear, and everything. I am curious. Does the scroll buttons size need to be the size of the track it would scroll in, or the size of the button I wish to move? Mine just stretches, doesnt scroll.
Colby

Postby galileo2000 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:08 am

Colby,

How did you make it work?

Could you post exact steps?

Thanks!
galileo2000

Postby Colby on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:05 am

Ok, so I played with this some more. Does this thing really scroll? It moves when I push next page, but you cant slide it like a real scrollbar. If all it does is change position upon page and not grab and slide, it has no value to me.

As far as making it work it was simple. I followed the directions.

Install the plugin in the plugin dir.
Start XL, go to page to add scroll.
Open skin editor.
ADD new Button (not text).
Give the button a button id. (I named mine scroller)

Add text to this new button which reads: plugin>xscrollbar>vertical>music>scroller
*veritcal is for a vertical sliding scroll
* music is the category in which I am scrolling
* scroller is the button id I named my scroller button
Close skin editor, (the default image will appear the size & position of your new button)

Good luck!
Colby

Postby galileo2000 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:13 am

Colby,

Thanks.

So..you start editor, you goto Screen, Add New Button..which button do you choose if any?

m_ski, it would be a great plugin if you could provide some more polished directions and maybe try it on another (not yours) PC?

Thanks.
galileo2000

Postby dalanik on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:03 pm

Aha, made it work... gess i was creating TEXT filed instead of button...

D.
dalanik

Postby galileo2000 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:21 pm

OK, I replaced xlobby.exe and SDK files with October 20, 2005 files and it does not crash anymore and draws predesigned button, but that's about it. Does not scroll.
galileo2000

Postby galileo2000 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:26 pm

Colby wrote:Ok, so I played with this some more. Does this thing really scroll? It moves when I push next page, but you cant slide it like a real scrollbar. If all it does is change position upon page and not grab and slide, it has no value to me.

Same here. Great idea, just not quite ready for a prime time yet.
galileo2000

Postby dalanik on Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:07 pm

galileo2000 wrote:
Colby wrote:Ok, so I played with this some more. Does this thing really scroll? It moves when I push next page, but you cant slide it like a real scrollbar. If all it does is change position upon page and not grab and slide, it has no value to me.

I don't need it to be real slider since I use remote controller to control XLobby... for me it's enough to have visual position in a list....

D.
dalanik

Postby galileo2000 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:15 pm

dalanik wrote:
galileo2000 wrote:

I don't need it to be real slider since I use remote controller to control XLobby... for me it's enough to have visual position in a list....

D.

Well, I certainly do need a scroll. I use infrared mouse/kb combo to control XL. Just imagine going through my 800 DVD Movies collection with and without scroll bar.
galileo2000

Postby GFORCE on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:09 pm

for some reason, my Music Page total went from 40 to 102

and when I press Next page it just scrolls to the next page
GFORCE

Postby m_ski on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Ok guys - I probably rushed this out a bit early and didn't do the documentation very well, but this is my first attempt at a plugin and I personally think it is quite useful in its current form.

Let's just be clear - this plugin simply
generates a scrollbar image to indicate the current page in a category and the amount of the category that is being viewed
At the moment it does not implement any kind of actual scrolling functionality by clicking or dragging it.
I find that in quite a few of the default xlobby screens it is not always obvious which way you need to move the cursor to scroll a category (left/right or up/down) - by adding a scrollbar image it is then very obvious which key to press to scroll a category, and also whether you are near the top or bottom and roughly how much of the database you are actually viewing.

I have updated the zip file (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/skilling/xlobby/release/Xscrollbar_v1_6th_Jan_2006.zip) which now has my music and musicsearch screens in it to use with the latest default xlobby skin - copy these to the default skin to see the plugin in action.

Here are some better instructions... (a full example for the pictures screen)

1) Extract the contents of the zip file to ...\plugins\Xscrollbar
2) Go to the screen where you want to add the scrollbar (i.e. pictures screen)
3) open the Skin editor (Pause/Break)
4) Go to the tab Screen>Add
5) Add a new text zone with the text
Code: Select all
plugin>xscrollbar>vertical>pictures>pic_scroll
(vertical is the scrollbar orientation - must be 'vertical' or 'horizontal'
pictures is the category name we want to associate the scrollbar to
pic_scroll is the button_id we are going to use)

6) You will find a text zone has been added in the top left of the screen showing the text 'Cannot find button_id: pic_scroll' This is because we have not yet given the button it's ID.
7) Select the text in the top left of the screen and go to Item>Default
8.) Enter the ID as pic_scroll

9) You should now have a scrollbar which you can resize and move to where you want it displayed.
The size of the zone represents the track that the scrollbar will scroll in (i.e. the max size of the scrollbar when looking at a 1 page database that cannot scroll anywhere.)
10) You can now add another rectangle to surround the scrollbar to give it a proper visual track to run in...

I mentioned in my first post that I have some ideas of further enhancements.
This is basically to enable full scrolling functionality with clicking and dragging similar to windows scrollbars. This would include a few things...
a) Change scrollbar image when mouse hovers over the scrollbar to a '..._enter.png' image. This would probably be a change of color but would be entirely skin dependent and would use an image file as the current scrollbar does.
b) When the actual bar is pressed change to a '_down.png' image and allow the scrollbar to scroll while the mouse button is still pressed.
This does prove a bit of an issue because if you have, for example, only a 3 page category then the scrollbar can actually only be in one of three positions (first third, second third or third third) as xlobby only allows me to control which page we are on and not exactly which item is displayed at the start of the page.
Would this be satisfactory for those that want a fully working scrollbar?
c) If you click above or below the actual bar then this would implement a page up or page down.

Is the above exactly how you would like to see it working or have I missed anything?
If there is enough interest in developing this further then I think I will be able to get it working but it will involve quite a bit more work. Let me know what you think.
m_ski

Next