A proposal of clarity

Speak your mind

A proposal of clarity

Postby antipasto on Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:15 am

I love the possibilities of Xlobby, but I have a few points that I need to address that are behind some of the reasons why I haven't worked on Xlobby lately. Some of this may be off base, and I'd love comments.

1. File Browser

Categorizing things and having good metadata is great because the interface can leverage that into a very intuitive and media-rich experience... however, when all else fails, and to start using XLobby without good meta data, and to use the program daily and in ad-hoc ways easily, a file browser should be a priority.

2. Uniform configuration

Screen / button editing is seperate from command editing...... I know that the setup does a great job in database management, and that it should perhaps be near the command editing, but its just too far away from the buttons that actually implement the commands.

I know that there have been articles recently about using the editor components that come with Visual Studio to use in your own projects and redistribute.... why reinvent the wheel when .NET provides the editing capabilities?

3. Basic Starting Skin

Yeah, I know, about the time the community has a chance to get to documentation is when we'll have this... but having a file browser could make this easier to get out quicker.

4. Release schedules

Yup... it's time... I've loved the bleeding edge that is available at http://www.xlobby.com/xlobby2.zip , but the last I messed with it it broke my skin I was working on, and I know my skin doesn't work on the latest release... my bad for not keeping track, but a revision history and all those things that come along with that are a benefit to the person that will live and breathe the product.

Now here, I'm going off on a rant, but....

The GNU manifesto says that if a company can be profitable by selling their software as well as providing support, then a company that provides support for free software should also be profitable.

In a nutshell, consider open source:

1. For nerds, that is documentation enough. Hell, there was a guy that didn't even need your source to make a plugin for XLobby!

2. I, for one, would lend a hand. You could also solidfy the work of those that have already lended a hand! Lots of good skins and documentation are being developed by people that are in the community!

3. If someone screws with you, you'll have the whole weight of the open source world behind you....

4. You won't have to worry about code "leaking"

5. You won't have to rely on a small group of dedicated people... your code will make its rounds and everyone can have a chance to improve it whenever they have time.... I would've loved to have cranked out a file browser for you by now.... that's just me.

Sorry for the rant, but thank you so much for all that you've done, Steven!
antipasto

Postby hjackson on Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:43 am

Actually, he is finishing off a file browser... http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1756
In regards to providing support for free software, while Steve is definitely present on this board, I was shocked to realize that he hasn't posted in the General Discussion forum for over 6 weeks!! As a result, it appears that quite a few posts are sinking without satisfactory answers. That's a shame, because a frustrated user will likely go to another product and we all know that's true because that's how most of us ended up here! :lol:
Please Steve, post in this forum at least once a week, we need your guidance brother!! :)

hjackson
hjackson

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:17 pm

Yah I try to keep up with all the posts, but damn if I did that I would never get anything done.

File Browser

like hjackson said its on its way. I have finished coding it.

Uniform configuration, well this is more of a matter of opinion you would like to see it one way and I think it works pretty good the way it is right now. So who is right?

Basic Starting Skin, I do plan on redoing my own skin for my own personal use when I get a chance. I agree the current one sucks, and that is why jowaldos skin will be the default one for the next release because I wont be done mine.

Release schedules, maybe when I get to beta right now everyone knows its alpha and xlobby is changing constantly at the moment.

1. For nerds, that is documentation enough

thats a huge assumption

I, for one, would lend a hand

plugins plugins plugins, there is one guy that wants an irman plugin
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1783

If someone screws with you, you'll have the whole weight of the open source world behind you

not sure why someone would screw with me if its open source or not

You won't have to worry about code "leaking"

I dont

5. You won't have to rely on a small group of dedicated people... your code will make its rounds and everyone can have a chance to improve it whenever they have time.... I would've loved to have cranked out a file browser for you by now.... that's just me.

interesting idea, but I dont think its practicable

I dont mind people ranting, helps me figure out what people are thinking and in turn help influence the program in a positive way.
stevenhanna6