Controlling AV Switch using XL2 & MCE IR BLASTER

Help each other out

Controlling AV Switch using XL2 & MCE IR BLASTER

Postby Rab1967 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi,

I am still very new to this Xlobby software and still feeling my way around, so some help on IR control would be appreciated. I'll explain what I am trying to achieve first.
I want XL2 mostly just for Music Jukebox, but I also would like to be able to have buttons on Xlobby screens to control my Speakercraft MZC multiroom AV switch and a Yamaha RXV1600 AV Receiver. That way I can determine which zones in my home are able to here music as it plays through the XL2 PC.

At the moment I have basic windows XP desktop running XL2 with MediaX2 SKIN also being controlled with the standard MCE IR Remote that came with MCE 2005 OS that I bought and a 17" ELO Touch Screen.

I'm using standard MCE IR drivers and navigating is fine throughout XL (except for controlling Zoomplayer, but don't need movies for the moment)
However, I want to be able to use the IR Blasters of the MCE IR Receiver unit to send out the Ir signals to the MZC controllers IR input (also passed thru to Yamaha amp).

I've read quite a few posts already on changing drivers to get the MCE IR Rec/Blaster working and using it with Girder 3.2, but to be honest I just got lost and found that when I had the changed drivers loaded, the navigation had gone in XL2, which I felt was important to have, without too much hassle.

So what I need is some advice on how to configure any plugins and the hardware drivers in order to get the IR output working and still retain the navigational control using the standard MCE remote.

I know some are going to tell me to buy the USB/UIRT which is built into XL, but I'm trying to utilise what I have already, although if need be, I will reluctantly head towards some US site to make an international purchase, if it is the only way I can achieve the desired result.

.Rab fae Scotland
Rab1967

Re: Controlling AV Switch using XL2 & MCE IR BLASTER

Postby wesblack on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 am

Rab,

The USB-UIRT is the best solution. :D

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Rab1967 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Ok, well maybe a shorter question will receive a longer answer... lol

Has anyone managed to configure XL2 to use a strandard MCE IR Rec/Blaster with Remote for both IR input and IR output?
Rab1967

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:04 pm

I think you more or less answered your own question. You basically have two routes to take...one of which you have tried, but left un-desirable results, in that of using the MCE drivers along with a Girder plugin. You most likely could get it to work, but there will be some experimenting and trial/error on your behalf.

The other option, which really is very easy to impliment is to use a USB-UIRT, and the existing plugin that works really well within Xlobby. Is your issue, not so much that you have to order from outside the country, but more that there are regulations on items coming in, and unless the USB-UIRT has a CE marking, you may have problems?

If so, there is always a third option and that is building your own circuit in that of the WinLIRC. Along with Girder, it is pretty solid in accepting codes. Not to sure about transmitting though, but there are circuits for doing that as well.

Granted, there are other options, as in other types of IR receivers/blasters, but in the long run, I don't think you will find a better/easier solution than the USB-UIRT.

Hope this answer is long enough...now time for a coffee.

Chow.
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:38 pm

i have usb-uirt with 3 separate zones working flawlessly
easy setup and zone configuration. Simple radio shack parts to create the 3 zones.

i recommend it 100%
billberet

Postby Jay on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:13 pm

+1
Have them on server and clients.
Jay

Postby Rab1967 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks Marbles, your reply was long enough...:)

I think I will take the advice and order up a USB-UIRT and in the time that it takes to be delivered from the states, I'll have a little fiddle with the MCE one and Girder.
Incidentally, I have now got Girder working with the MCE IR Blasters and changing my Zone Controller successfully.

Now the next step for me is to learn how to get XL2 to tell Girder when to switch the controller.....

.Rab fae Scotland
Rab1967

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Now the next step for me is to learn how to get XL2 to tell Girder when to switch the controller.....

In Xlobby:
F2/Setup select the "Events" tab
Create a new event
Find Girder commands in the command list
Define your Girder command
In Girder create your command...using the same naming convention that you used in Xlobby

That should be it. Works great with Freelobby (Last free V2), and Girder 3.2. I'm doing that for sending data commands from Xlobby to Girder to control the parallel port to control my Maytrix 4x2 switch.
Marbles_00

Postby Rab1967 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:34 am

Marbles_00 wrote:
Works great with Freelobby (Last free V2), and Girder 3.2.

YES IT DOES.... :) Thanks

I did find the details on another post before you replyed and managed to get it working.
I think I'll hold off on ordering that USB-UIRT for a few more days, while I mess around with the XRemote plugin some more to see if I can get the ir control back using the MCE remote.
I'm starting to enjoy the product now that I am getting some results. Tasks left to do are:
Learn to customise the skin, (or find a nice one that has everything I want) and clean up the coverart somehow, as it looks nasty on 17" screen.

But, once I have remote control of XL back using the amended MCE IR drivers, I can start cutting the ruddy great hole in my wall for the 17" monitor and at least start using the thing in earnest.

.Rab fae Scotland
Rab1967