Link music database to text files

Got an idea, post it here

Link music database to text files

Postby rorsdors on Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:16 am

Hi,
have had this in support section for a while now with no response - is it possible? - I want to create an overlay screen that displays a text file showing details of the band now playing. The text files are all in one directory and named to match the artist name. Is there a way to link the audioplayer>now>%artist% to the artist.txt and display?
(I also have an artist picture - <artist>.jpg - that I would like to display as well)
cheers
rorsdors

Postby Colby on Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:38 pm

it will take some work, but why not just copy and paste the text file into a field of a newly created tag in the edit database. then make sure this textbox is checked and you can show the filter of this text like you do with date or display or artist or whatever. I would edit my database and "implant" the info into the song file itself.
Colby

Postby rorsdors on Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:53 am

Thanx 4 the reply Colby, but this would be way too much work (7000 albums) and would dramatically increase the database size, particularly due to duplication of the text.
rorsdors

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:25 pm

rorsdors can you send me that directory with all those txt files in a zip file....and I assume all the artist.jpgs are also in one directory? can you send those too. Even a partial sample is good enough to work with.

mailto:steve@xlobby.com
stevenhanna6

Postby Twit on Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:25 am

This would be an awsome feature.

If at import time we could specify another folder (or same folder) with a file mask.

For rorsdors he would secify another folder with %artist%.txt as the filter but if i had posters of the various artists i could specify %artist%.jpg and could then display these in xlobby. All my lyrics are text based so
%artists%-%trackname%.txt would work there.

If i wanted to i could export my pictures exif data to a text file and have
%filename%.txt as a filter.

If xlobby creates an other1 and other2 (etc) field then this could be used to display whatever you wanted.

By filters i mean that if all my posters (i dont actually have any) are downloaded from different places but all filenames begin with the artist name then %artist%*.jpg would filter out the rest of the crap and only look at artist name. It would then insert the link to the file into the other1 filed and we could use category>artist>other1 (or something) to insert it into our skins.

It always sounds easier to 'suggest' than to do it in code. If it was easier to say remove all references to the cover art in the import mask EXCEPT the jpg extension then there is a couple of extra places where it says to look for text files with the following extensions and graphics with the following extensions and to have a place to say if these were file OR folder specific. Then in my 'Aerosmith-Big ones' album folder i would dump a file called aerosmith.txt (all about aerosmith) + 16 files called aerosmith-nameofsong.txt2 (yes txt2 or any other odd extension)(these are the specific lyrics songs) + aerosmith.jpg2 (or some odd extension) (this displays the aerosmith poster).

What i'm trying to get at is that if you narrow the import type to txt OR jpg then you have the following 4 field.

Look for the following folder specific text files - %artist%*.txt2 (rorsdors)
Look for the following folder specific jpg files - %artist%*.abc (jpg file)
Look for the following file specific txt files- %filename%*.txt3
Look for the following file specific jpg files- %filename%*.def (jpg file)

There are a million and one uses for this. I think you would have to create a 'graphics box' and a 'text box' (that can scroll).

Anyway just a (long winded) thought. But i would be awsome if you could pull it off.

Later
Simon.
Twit

Postby rorsdors on Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:22 am

Steve, have sent you a sample.
rorsdors